Unable to set permission scheme to the project which is created through Jira API

RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

I can able to set permission scheme to the project which is created through UI where as i am not able to set to the project which is created programmatically we can set but if due to some resons not setted and trying to add through UI i am getting Nullpointer exception.

getting following error
java.lang.NullPointerException at com.atlassian.jira.projectconfig.contextproviders.ProjectPermissionContextProvider.getContextMap(ProjectPermissionContextProvider.java:85) at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.webfragment.CacheableContextProviderDecorator.initContextMap(CacheableContextProviderDecorator.java:70) at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.webfragment.CacheableContextProviderDecorator.getContextMap(CacheableContextProviderDecorator.java:46) at com.atlassian.plugin.web.descriptors.DefaultWebPanelModuleDescriptor$ContextAwareWebPanel.getHtml(DefaultWebPanelModuleDescriptor.java:141) at com.atlassian.jira.projectconfig.tab.WebPanelTab.getTab(WebPanelTab.java:75) at com.atlassian.jira.projectconfig.servlet.PanelServlet.outputTab(PanelServlet.java:163) at com.atlassian.jira.projectconfig.servlet.PanelServlet.doGet(PanelServlet.java:136) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.DelegatingPluginServlet.service(DelegatingPluginServlet.java:42) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.ServletModuleContainerServlet.service(ServletModuleContainerServlet.java:52) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206) at com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.steps.ChainedFilterStepRunner.doFilter(ChainedFilterStepRunner.java:78) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206) at com.atlassian.core.filters.HeaderSanitisingFilter.doFilter(HeaderSanitisingFilter.java:44) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.IteratingFilterChain.doFilter(IteratingFilterChain.java:46) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.DelegatingPluginFilter$1.doFilter(DelegatingPluginFilter.java:66) at com.atlassian.labs.botkiller.BotKillerFilter.doFilter(BotKillerFilter.java:36) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.DelegatingPluginFilter.doFilter(DelegatingPluginFilter.java:74) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.IteratingFilterChain.doFilter(IteratingFilterChain.java:42) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.DelegatingPluginFilter$1.doFilter(DelegatingPluginFilter.java:66) at com.atlassian.applinks.core.rest.context.ContextFilter.doFilter(ContextFilter.java:25) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.DelegatingPluginFilter.doFilter(DelegatingPluginFilter.java:74) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.IteratingFilterChain.doFilter(IteratingFilterChain.java:42) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:77) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:63) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206) at com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.accesslog.AccessLogFilter.executeRequest(AccessLogFilter.java:104) at com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.accesslog.AccessLogFilter.doFilter(AccessLogFilter.java:88) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206) at com.atlassian.jira.security.xsrf.XsrfTokenAdditionRequestFilter.doFilter(XsrfTokenAdditionRequestFilter.java:54) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206) at com.opensymphony.sitemesh.webapp.SiteMeshFilter.obtainContent(SiteMeshFilter.java:129) at com.opensymphony.sitemesh.webapp.SiteMeshFilter.doFilter(SiteMeshFilter.java:77) at com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.SitemeshPageFilter.doFilter(SitemeshPageFilter.java:124) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.IteratingFilterChain.doFilter(IteratingFilterChain.java:46) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:77) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:63)

any one have any idea ??

Thanks,

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2013

after creating project, i am using following jelly tag to set permission scheme through jelly script runner

<jira:SelectProjectScheme projectKey="JIRA" permission-scheme="JIRA Permission Scheme"/>

0 votes
DanielP
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2013
0 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2012

Hi there,

When creating a project via SOAP, you need to provide a permission scheme and you can't simply send a string. It needs to be a {{remotePermissionScheme}} object because when that gets converted to the SOAP XML format in the request it will look different than just a string and that's what JIRA expects.

For example:

final RemotePermissionScheme permissionScheme = new RemotePermissionScheme();

permissionScheme.setId(0L);

final RemoteProject project = soapy.createProject(token, "TESTD", "Test Proj D", "", "", "contour", permissionScheme, null, null);

The above will work while the below wont:

final RemoteProject project = soapy.createProject(token, "TESTD", "Test Proj D", "", "", "contour", null, null, null);

The permissionScheme can't be a string, it needs to be a permissionScheme SOAP object with the id of the permission scheme filled in.

Cheers,

Pedro

RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2012

Thanks for your response!

Actually i created project through post function not through SOAP

following code i am using to set permission scheme

UpdateProjectSchemesValidationResult schemesResult = projectService.validateUpdateProjectSchemes(loggedInUser,permissionSchemeId,notificationSchemeId,issueSecuritySchemeId);	
errors.addErrorCollection(schemesResult.getErrorCollection());
if (!errors.hasAnyErrors()) { // adding schemes to Project projectService.updateProjectSchemes(schemesResult, newProject); }

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 24, 2012

Don't mind me saying this, it looks terribly odd trying to create projects in post functions :(

Can you give a bit more details into the usecase (while I accept that I am not solving your problem by asking this)?

RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 25, 2012

@Renjith,

we are getting number of requests to create new projects based on existing project so i created post function to create project and copy all the configurations from the base project. all the configurations are copied as expected and i am facing the problem while copying permission scheme.

some times it is copying from base project and some times it is not and it is setting null, when i am trying to change null value to some other schem getting the NPE

E September 18, 2014

Have you gotten this issue resolved? I am in the same situation.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

So, you created a project via Jira API. Obviously something is missing there. Where do you have that NPE ? Can you post the stack trace ? Otherwise, I'm not sure that you will get an answer right away.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

any help on this?

Suggest an answer