Unable to run Jira Software and BitBucket at the same time

Martin Druon July 9, 2016

Hi,

I've just installed JIRA Software and Bitbucket into a personnal server but I can't use both together. First, I start JIRA Software. After a few minutes (2 or 3) I can use it. But when I start Bitbucket to integrate it into Jira, the jira's deamon seems to crash: there is no response in my web browser. I've tried several times, using the /etc/init.d script or the start-jira.sh and start-bitbucket.sh script to restart everything.

Is there any ideas ? How I can investigate ?

My configuration :

Personal server - 2 cpus - 2Go - lot of free space

Debian 8 - freshly installed (only for jira)

Two users : "jira" for JIRA software and "atlbitbucket" for Bitbucket

Database : postgresql, on the same computer

Thank you

M.D.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Druon July 18, 2016

Hi,

sorry for the delay but I was in holidays ! smile

After some investigations (thanks Raffaele), it seems it was an "out of memory" problem, as Nic said.

To resume:

1) I tried to install JIRA and Bitbucket onto a Virtual Personnel Server with 1 cpu and 1 Go: I wasn't able to install something correctly

2) I tried to install JIRA and Bitbucket onto a Virtual Personnel Server with 2 cpu and 2 Go: I was able to install JIRA or Bitbucket but not together

3) I tried to install JIRA and Bitbucket onto a Virtual Personnel Server with 3 cpu and 4 Go: everything seems to work fine...

My configuration JIRA 7.1.9, Bitbucket 4.7.1 ans PostgreSQL 9.4

Needed RAM: about 3 Go

Thanks a lot

bye bye

1 vote
verraf July 11, 2016

very strange behaviour...can you try to start jira and bitbucket via start-jira.sh and start-bitbucket.sh instead of the service?
I normally have jira, bitbucket and bamboo on the same VM.

If you don't need Elasticsearch, you could run start-webapp.sh instead of start-bitbucket.sh and you can free memory.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2016

Were they both installed totally separately, different directories and different databases?

Could you check the resources on the machine?  Is the CPU being thrashed when both are run, and have you got enough memory to accomodate both JVMs (plus a good chunk left over for the operating system)?

What do the JIRA log files say at the time it hangs/crashes?  atlassian-jira.log in logs under the home directory, and catalina.out in the installation log directory.

Martin Druon July 10, 2016

Thanks Nic,

Yes, I have made two separate installations:

1) JIRA is installed in "/usr/local/share/atlassian/jira" and data in "/var/atlassian/application-data/jira", both with the user "jira" as owner

2) Bitbucket is installed in "/usr/local/share/atlassian/bitbucket" and data in "/var/atlassian/application-data/bitbucket", both with the user "atlbitbucket" as owner

The two programs use the same localhost database engine (postgresql) but with two separate databases and users.

And resources are not very extensive but seem to be enough.

My steps :

$ /etc/init.d/jira restart
Stopping jira
jira stopped successfully
Starting jira

Now I can use JIRA from my web browser

So I start Bitbucket :

$ /etc/init.d/atlbitbucket restart

[ ... ]

Existing PID file found during start.
Removing/clearing stale PID file.

Tomcat started.

Success! [... ]

And now, I can use Bitbucket but my connection with JIRA is broken: my web browser returns an "unreachable page" whereas Bitbucket works fine. And it is the same behaviour if I try to restart JIRA: Bitbucket will stop.

I didn't see anything special in the "catalina.out"  or "atlassian-jira.log"... I'm not an expert, but I didn't see any ERROR flags. And if I made a "ps aux", any JIRA processes have disappeared.

Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2016

How much memory have you got on the machine, and how much allocated to each service? 

What are the urls you are using to get to the two systems ?

What do the JIRA log files say at the time it hangs/crashes?

Available memory on my server: 2Go

And how I can see how much allocated to each service ?

From atlassian-jira.log:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heap memory : Used: 329 MiB. Committed: 693 MiB. Max: 739 MiB
Non-heap memory : Used: 225 MiB. Committed: 245 MiB. Max: 1264 MiB
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL : Used: 554 MiB. Committed: 938 MiB. Max: 2003 MiB

and at the end, I have the following line:

2016-07-10 12:55:24,639 http-nio-6280-exec-13 WARN "[my_user_name]" 775x138x2 41bhd2 86.206.44.139 /rest/api/1.0/menus/find_link [c.a.j.i.search.util.SearchPropertiesManager] Invalid filter ID in user preferences:

I didn't see any errors in the log files

My URLS are :

Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2016

Ah, ok, the memory stuff from the logs can be helpful, but in this case, they look ok.  It would be worth checking the "setenv.sh" files for both system, which will have a "maximum heap size" somewhere in them - either an explicit mention or a value for -Xmx somewhere.

I'd like to see a bit more of the end of the atlassian-jira.log, but I don't think it's going to tell us much.

The next one to look at is the catalina.out for JIRA - again the last 20 or so lines, whatever they are.

From my setenv.sh of jira:

JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY="384m"
JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY="768m"

[...]

AVA_OPTS="-Xms${JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY} -Xmx${JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY} [...]"

From my setenv.sh of bitbucket:

JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY="512m"
JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY="768m"

And the last lines of my catalina.out:

___ Modifications ___________________________

Modified Files                                : jira-application.properties
         Removed Files                                 : None

2016-07-10 12:53:31,280 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO      [c.a.j.index.ha.DefaultIndexRecoveryManager] Latest index date: {2016-07-08 15:28:23}, Latest DB date: {2016-07-08 15:28:23}
2016-07-10 12:53:32,103 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO      [c.a.jira.startup.DefaultInstantUpgradeManager] Late startup launchers took 19s
2016-07-10 12:53:32,112 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO      [c.a.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener] Memory Usage:
      Heap memory     :  Used:  329 MiB.  Committed:  693 MiB.  Max:  739 MiB
      Non-heap memory :  Used:  225 MiB.  Committed:  245 MiB.  Max: 1264 MiB
      TOTAL           :  Used:  554 MiB.  Committed:  938 MiB.  Max: 2003 MiB
2016-07-10 12:53:32,120 JIRA Warmer Thread:thread-1 INFO      [c.a.jira.i18n.I18nWarmer] Init i18n cache
2016-07-10 12:53:37,558 JIRA Warmer Thread:thread-1 INFO      [c.a.jira.i18n.I18nWarmer] Initialised i18n cache in 5439
2016-07-10 12:53:57,873 StreamsCompletionService::thread-1 DEBUG [my_username] 773x128x5 41bhd2 86.206.44.139 /plugins/servlet/streams [c.a.activeobjects.osgi.ActiveObjectsServiceFactory] getService bundle [com.atlassian.streams.thirdparty-plugin]
10-Jul-2016 12:53:58.867 WARNING [http-nio-6280-exec-5] com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.WebComponent.filterFormParameters A servlet request, to the URI http://[my_ip]:6280/rest/activity-stream/1.0/preferences?_=1468148037019, contains form parameters in the request body but the request body has been consumed by the servlet or a servlet filter accessing the request parameters. Only resource methods using @FormParam will work as expected. Resource methods consuming the request body by other means will not work as expected.
2016-07-10 12:54:17,522 Caesium-1-3 DEBUG      [c.a.activeobjects.osgi.ActiveObjectsServiceFactory] getService bundle [com.atlassian.support.healthcheck.support-healthcheck-plugin]
2016-07-10 12:55:24,639 http-nio-6280-exec-13 WARN [my_username] 775x138x2 41bhd2 86.206.44.139 /rest/api/1.0/menus/find_link [c.a.j.i.search.util.SearchPropertiesManager] Invalid filter ID in user preferences: 
10-Jul-2016 12:56:22.197 WARNING [http-nio-6280-exec-19] com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.WebComponent.filterFormParameters A servlet request, to the URI http://my_ip]:6280/rest/activity-stream/1.0/preferences?_=1468148181802, contains form parameters in the request body but the request body has been consumed by the servlet or a servlet filter accessing the request parameters. Only resource methods using @FormParam will work as expected. Resource methods consuming the request body by other means will not work as expected.
10-Jul-2016 12:57:16.977 WARNING [http-nio-6280-exec-13] com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.WebComponent.filterFormParameters A servlet request, to the URI http://my_ip]:6280/rest/activity-stream/1.0/preferences?_=1468148236706, contains form parameters in the request body but the request body has been consumed by the servlet or a servlet filter accessing the request parameters. Only resource methods using @FormParam will work as expected. Resource methods consuming the request body by other means will not work as expected.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2016

So, it's not crashing itself, so it must be some form of kill.

You've got a 2Gb memory space, but I'm not sure that's enough - JIRA and Bitbucket are set to consume 1.5Gb between them, leaving .5Gb for the operating system, postgresql and anything else you're running on there.  I suspect there's an out-of-memory error buried in your logs (with the OS deciding to kill JIRA when it happens to recoup memory space)

hummm... ok. I will try to install it into another computer, with much more memory and I will keep informed you.

Thank you for your time...

Suggest an answer