Unable to rank any issue in Agile

Lutz Uharek July 6, 2014

Hi,

When trying to rank issues, I allways get the error message: JIRA Agile cannot execute the rank operation. This board has recently been configured to use the Rank field. The system must be re-indexed before you can rank issues. Ask your administrator to perform a manual re-index.

We are in the testing phase and it is really frustrating for me to convince people of a product with such a bug.

Hope you can help me soon.

Best,

Lutz Uharek

4 answers

0 votes
Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2014

@Lutz Uharek, what collation do you have in the database? We have scandinavian and ran into this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-11178. The solution was to execute as this article describes: https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=665223710

0 votes
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2014

Which version of Jira Agile are you running?
Is possible that you have duplicated rank values on your database or that you're facing one of this bug:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-10872

0 votes
Lutz Uharek July 6, 2014

After re-indexing the error is still there. So what can I do to rank the issues?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2014

It's not a bug, it's simply not possible to re-index every time a change that requires re-indexing to be done is made.

What happens after you re-index?

Lutz Uharek July 6, 2014

After re-indexing the error is still there. So what can I do to rank the issues?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2014

Ok, what does the log say, both for the reindex and when you go to this screen and get the error message?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2014

You won't for OnDemand - it's on the OnDemand servers, which the clients don't have access to.

The best I can offer for OnDemand is for you to check the configuration. What does the filter for the board say exactly? And is the rank field definitely enabled for all the projects and issue types that could land in the board? (Generally, I find it easiest to set the rank field as global so you don't run into the context problem). And is it definitely visible in the field configurations for all the projects and issue types (again, I tend never to hide it in the schemes)

Sam Deane July 7, 2014

I have the same issue here, in an On Demand instance of JIRA.

It's a new install, only been in existence for a day, although most of the content was imported from GitHub.

I made a board, added ranking, and am getting the error, even after re-indexing.

Sam Deane July 7, 2014

Not sure where to find the log for an On Demand instance btw...

Sam Deane July 7, 2014

Blimey - who'd have thought it would be so difficult to do something simple out of the box like rank items on a board eh?

I have no idea to the answer to most of the questions! I will endeavour to find out...

Sam Deane July 7, 2014

The rank field appears to be locked, but the description says its global. As far as I can see it is enabled for all issue types in the project I'm trying this out with. Hard to know for sure - as I say, this is a stock install, set up yesterday, so I'd hope everything is configured in a sane default manner, but frankly... who knows...

Suggest an answer