Unable to populate Rapid Board

Sunil Bhaskar December 9, 2013

Hello,

We use Greenhopper Jira Rapid Board for our scrum practice for our product. We are currently using

Greenhopper 5.1.x

We have a requirement to track our product release and we are trying to figure out the best way.

This is how we stack up:

1. Our product will be released as a single version.

2. This product consist of 2 sub-products - SDK and UX.

3. We would want to track the final version, individual sub-products, as well as interim beta releases.

To do this, we did the following:

1. We made a version "Version 1.0" to denote the final release.

2. We made a version for each sub-product - SDK and UX.

3. We also made versions for each interim releases - "Preview 1", "Preview 2", etc.

For all the product backlog items, we did the following:

1. Added "Version 1.0" as the version so that we are able to track the final complete release.

2. Added "SDK" or "UX" depending upon whether the item belongs to SDK or UX to track the SDK and UX releases.

3. Added "Preview 1", etc to track the interim releases.

Therefore all backlog items have "3" versions - "main release" , sub-product, interim release number.

But we are facing a problem, that in the "Rapid Board" in planning mode, I am not able to see all backlog items against

each version. For some it is populating correctly, but for some it does not populate at all.

Can anyone of you point what is wrong that we are doing?

Regards,

Sunil

1 answer

0 votes
Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 29, 2013

For me, the sub-product looks like component for me which I would personally set it as component instead of version. However, that would up to how your design the board to work for. In addition, I believe you're using the rapidboard(lab feature) which there are quite a lots of feature not being introduced yet.

As to check against which version we're looking in the board, Quick Filters of Scrum Board in later version of JIRA Agile(formerly known as Greenhopper) will help you to filter out backlog better.

In addition, since JIRA Agile 6.3, a version panel in the Scrum Board allows you to manage, filter the issues with the version better: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Planning+a+Version

Sunil Bhaskar January 6, 2014

Well that is not what we are looking for isn't it. For us components are bigger level blocks which might encompass multiple epics.

Putting the version for intermediate releases and final release should help us to view the version report on how we are progressing.

Suggest an answer