Unable to log in to JIRA

carol turner January 2, 2014

I have been using JIRA for a long time now and this is the first time it will not allow me to log in. I'm using the same username and password that worked last week and now all I receive is an authentication error message. Please help!

3 answers

0 votes
Anson Hoyt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2014

Just a little tip about Atlassian Answers. You're not writing an answer to your original question here, so perhaps it should be a comment. Even better, it's a perfect candidate to be its own question so other folks can benefit from your confusion on the wording from this site.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2014

You aren't being asked to answer your own question, you've misread something.

Anyway, your password has been changed or reset by an administrator (or you), OR there's a wider system problem blocking access to Jira's user list, so it can't authenticate you.

You'll need to tell us a bit more about your systems to help us narrow down what the problem might be. Is it OnDemand, your organisations installation or your own install? Were you an admin? Does the "forgot my password" link do anything useful?

As soon as I submitted my question it said "don't forget to answer your own question", so i was a little confused.

I am not an admin, I'm only a JIRA user. I clicked on the reset your password button, but since I'm not an admin I'm unable to actually reset it. Now when I attempt to log in it's telling me "Sorry, your userid is required to answer a CAPTCHA question correctly." However it doesn't accept any answer that I provide.

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2014

Mmm, it says to answer the question if you work out an answer without us, or want to kill off the question so it doesn't bother you.

Reset your password should be working for you, but if you're struggling with the Captcha (a system I have an intense dislike of myself), then I'm afraid you need to ask your administrators to handle it for you.

It actually says "Please make sure you are providing an answer to your own question. Otherwise, choose "add comment" to continue a conversation about a given answer or to clarify your question."

Reset my password is not working since it tells me that I have to be an admin in order to do so. The Captcha system just keeps asking me to answer the question. I don't know who the administrators are which is why I opened this question system. Who do I ask if you can't assist me?

Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2014

Hi Carol,

You'd have to probably check with whoever created your user account in jira instance for you, or your tech support, project manager, etc. The identity of your own company's admins is really something that only someone within your company would be able to answer.

As for the ''Providing an answer'' its simply prompting you to select the answer (of the ones that were offered) that ends up helping you resolve your problem so that it can be marked accordingly.

Paresh Gandhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2014

administrator may need to clear failed login count for you user to avoid captch thing.

0 votes

Why am I asked to answer my own question? If I knew the answer I wouldn't be posting a question!

Suggest an answer