Unable to load AJS (JS file) in Velocity template

Rishabh Jain August 2, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

@Chris Fuller

Hi Team,

I am developing a plugin for JIRA admins. I m trying to load JS file in Velocity template but unable to do so. I want to add a dropdown which will provide the list of all the projects. 

I have tried below post also, but it is not working for me:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/30540422/add-projects-to-project-picker-field

Below is the code snippet for atlassian-plugin.xml

<web-resource key="ForgeJiraMailHandler-resources" name="ForgeJiraMailHandler Web Resources">
        <dependency>com.atlassian.auiplugin:ajs</dependency>
        <dependency>jira.webresources:jira-global</dependency>
    	<dependency>jira.webresources:autocomplete</dependency>
        <resource type="download" name="ForgeJiraMailHandler.css" location="/css/ForgeJiraMailHandler.css"/>
        <resource type="download" name="ForgeJiraMailHandler.js" location="/js/ForgeJiraMailHandler.js"/>
        <resource type="download" name="images/" location="/images"/>
        <context>ForgeJiraMailHandler</context>
    </web-resource>

Below is the velocity template- ForgeJiraMailHandlerConfiguration.vm

<html>
  <head>
    <title>$i18n.getText("fjmh.name")</title> 
    $webResourceManager.requireResource("com.atlassian.auiplugin:ajs")
    $webResourceManager.requireResource("com.soprasteria.di.mailhandler.ForgeJiraMailHandler:ForgeJiraMailHandler-resources")
  </head>

Below is the Javascript file ForgeJiraMailHandler.js

var ProjectPicker = AJS.SingleSelect.extend({
    init: function (options) {
        function formatResponse(response) {
            var ret = [];
            var groupDescriptor = new AJS.GroupDescriptor({
                weight: 1,
                label: "Projects"
            });
            ret.push(groupDescriptor);
            AJS.$(response).each(function(i, project) {
                groupDescriptor.addItem(new AJS.ItemDescriptor({
                    value: project.key,
                    label: project.name,
                    html:  "<div><span>" + project.name + "</span></div>",
                    icon: project.avatarUrls[project.avatarUrls.length - 1]
                }));
            });
            return ret;
        }
        AJS.$.extend(options, {
            errorMessage: "Missing Project",
            ajaxOptions: {
                url: contextPath + "/rest/api/2/project",
                query: true,
                formatResponse: formatResponse
            }
        });
        this._super(options);
    }
});

new ProjectPicker({
            element: AJS.$("#projectdropdown"),
            itemAttrDisplayed: "label",
            width: 300
        });

Could you please help?

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rishabh Jain August 15, 2016

@Yagnesh Bhat

Thanks For you kind reply. This thing works for me!!

There are some other few things which i need to mention here

• Calling #requireResourcesForContext is not mandatory as resources are available in admin context.
  • <head> tag was not getting executed while calling JS file. I put them in <body> tag and it finally worked for me.
1 vote
TtheB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2016

You have defined the context "ForgeJiraMailHandler" in your xml, but you do not use it in your velocity template. I would change the context name in your xml to the full package name:

com.soprasteria.di.mailhandler.ForgeJiraMailHandler

and then use this code in your velocity template:

&lt;head&gt;
  #requireResourcesForContext("com.soprasteria.di.mailhandler.ForgeJiraMailHandler")
&lt;/head&gt;

If your JS and CSS is still not getting loaded, check if the location path to your file is correct and starts at the right level.

Rishabh Jain August 3, 2016

@TtheB

I tried with package name and #requireResourcesForContext as stated above, but no luck!!!

here is my package structure for your reference. 

Eclipse_Structure.JPG

Please help!

TtheB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2016

Try to remove the leading "/" from the location path in your web-resource, so

&lt;resource type="download" name="ForgeJiraMailHandler.css" location="/css/ForgeJiraMailHandler.css"/&gt;
      &lt;resource type="download" name="ForgeJiraMailHandler.js" location="/js/ForgeJiraMailHandler.js"/&gt;

becomes

&lt;resource type="download" name="ForgeJiraMailHandler.css" location="css/ForgeJiraMailHandler.css"/&gt;
      &lt;resource type="download" name="ForgeJiraMailHandler.js" location="js/ForgeJiraMailHandler.js"/&gt;
Rishabh Jain August 6, 2016

@TtheB

No Luck with removal of slashes..sad

Rishabh Jain August 15, 2016

@TtheB

Thanks for your Help!!! I have incorporated your changes in my solution

0 votes
Rishabh Jain August 8, 2016

@Petar Petrov [Botron]

I added below line in my velocity:

&lt;script src="$req.contextPath/download/resources/com.soprasteria.di.mailhandler.ForgeJiraMailHandler:ForgeJiraMailHandler-resources/ForgeJiraMailHandler.js" type="text/javascript"&gt;&lt;/script&gt;

So now when i m hitting below url, it is displaying js content to me

http://localhost:2990/jira/download/resources/com.soprasteria.di.mailhandler.ForgeJiraMailHandler:ForgeJiraMailHandler-resources/ForgeJiraMailHandler.js  

just that js is still not getting loaded in my browser/Velocity.

0 votes
Yagnesh Bhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2016

Try wrapping the whole JS you have shown within this method 

AJS.toInit(function() {
//your JS here
});

or within AJS.$() method instead.

Also make sure you are using the right contexts for your web resource, refer the section on contexts here:

https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/building-jira-add-ons/jira-plugins2-overview/jira-plugin-module-types/web-resource-plugin-module

Yagnesh Bhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2016

I guess try adding the contexts as well:

<context>ForgeJiraMailHandler</context>

<context>atl.admin</context>

<context>atl.general</context>

And also be sure to clear the browser cache by hitting Ctrl-F5 on PC or Cmd-R on mac.

Also, can you check in if that web resource is actually enabled when you install the plugin? You can check that under "Manage Addons" and then expanding the link which shows your addon being installed.

0 votes
Rishabh Jain August 2, 2016

I m not able to load ForgeJiraMailHandler.js, I checked in Mozilla Firebug, js is not getting loaded. The dropdown is coming as empty. No errors in atlassian.log file and no error in Firebug console 

0 votes
Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2016

And by "not working" you mean?

Suggest an answer