Unable to link Confluence 5.4.1 to JIRA 6.1.5

Richard Eagleton January 21, 2014

I'm trying to link our Confluence and JIRA servers together so that we can refer between them. My setup is as follows,

• JIRA 6.1.5 on one server
  • Confluence 5.4.1 on another separate server
  • Users are internal to each application i.e. no LDAP, Crowd, or use of JIRA User Server for Confluence

I have added the Application Links in each to point to the other. For both Incoming and Outgoing Authentication in each I enabled Trusted Applications and OAuth.

My account on both has the same username and password and I have full Admin rights on both.

So far, when testing, I can create a link in JIRA that links to a page in Confluence no problem.

But when I attempt to use the JIRA Issue macro in Confluence, it never allows me to create a link. I've tried typing in an issue key for an issue which I created in JIRA and I've also tried creating a new issue.

When I enter the issue key, TST-4, I get the error message saying "The JIRA server didn't understand your search query". If I try to create a new issue, the list of Projects and Issue Types are not populated and the Insert button just ignores my presses.

I suspect its a permissions issue but considering that I have the maximum rights possible on both servers, I can't figure out what is missing??

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Richard Eagleton March 30, 2014

With the help of the support team, it turned out to be two problems.

1) The time between the JIRA and Confluence servers was not synchronised. No idea why, but there was a 2 hour time difference between the two servers so I set up ntpd to take care of that.

2) Links were missing in the authentication configuration. The Confluence page doesn't say it, but the JIRA page (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/Configuring+Trusted+Applications+Authentication+for+an+Application+Link) describes what is needed.

Since its not entirely clear which URLs are required and where, I added all of the following to both ingoing and outgoing authentication on both Confluence and JIRA which fixed my problem,

/rest
/plugins/servlet/applinks/whoami
/rpc/xmlrpc
/plugins/servlet/streams
/rpc/soap
/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest
/secure/RunPortlet

UPDATE:

The support desk have added a feature request (https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/APL-1187) for the JIRA and Confluence to auto-configure themselves with each other to reduce the problems in the future.

Niels van Aken August 5, 2015

Thanks, this fixed the problem for me!

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2014

There is a security vulnerabiluty recently patched in JIRA (>6.1.3) that confluence needs in order to use trusted apps.

Versions 5.3.4, 5.4 and 5.4.1 are not vulnerable but require patches for compatibility purposes in order to be able to connect to patched or upgraded versions of JIRA and other Atlassian products. You do not need to patch these versions if you are not using Application Links with Trusted Applications authentication configured.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+Security+Advisory+2014-02-26

I would try applying the patch to Confluence so JIRA will trust it again.

0 votes
Raffi Enficiaud March 20, 2014

What if you add "/rpc/xmlrpc"

in the URL patterns as explained in

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/125007/issue-links-wiki-page-you-do-not-have-permission-to-view-this-page

(the documentation missing some points).

Richard Eagleton March 23, 2014

Thanks for the tip but it didn't work :-(

Further investigation has shown that when doing a search for the issue, I get a '400 - Bad Request' response with a description 'The request sent by the client was syntactically incorrect (Bad Request).'

In the actual headers the X-AppPath is,

/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-xml/temp/SearchRequest.xml?jqlQuery=key%20%3D%20CMS-3&returnMax=true&tempMax=20&field=summary&field=type&field=link

0 votes
Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2014

Hi Richard,

I suggest that you create a support request ticket in our support site and provide us with the Support Zips for both JIRA and Confluence in a sense that we can assist you better.

Cheers,

Andy

Suggest an answer