Unable to increase the memory of Jira Service for Re-indexing

Rohan Kulkarni November 12, 2013

Hi,

I need to increase the memory of Jira Service in the Services for Re-indexing but I am unable to do it. It requires copying the Path to Executable "D:\Jira 6.1\Atlassian\JIRA\bin\tomcat7w.exe //ES//JIRA" into cmd and change the memory size. But it says D:\Jira is not recognized command, is it because of the space between Jira and 6.1 in the path and also there is a dot between 6 and 1. Please help.

Thanks,

Rohan

2 answers

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2013

Hi

Why dont you log into the server which has jira installed, go to the folder which has tomcat7w and type the command

tomcat7w //ES//JIRAxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Another thing to note is that, if you are on 32 bit system then there is caping on how much memory you can allot to jira. I think it is around 1.2 GB, even if your system RAM is available then also on 32 bit you cannot allot more than 1.2 gb to jira.

Rahul

wow. Simple yet awesome. Thanks Rahul.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2013

Hi Rohan,

Have you tried increasing the memory through the windows registry?

Search for "Setting Properties for Windows Services via the Windows Registry" in this document

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Increasing+JIRA+Memory

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2013

Hi Rohan,

Not if you have installed JIRA as a service.

Hi Bhushan,

Thanks. Can I increase the memory size of the Jira instance by opening the file setenv.bat and increasing the values of attributes 'set JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY= and set JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY= ' as mentioned in the link ?

Thanks,

Rohan

Yes Bhushan. I have installed Jira as a Service. Any Alternate solution please? Earlier I used to increase memeory size by copying the Path to Executable from Jira Service, in this case, D:\Jira 6.1\Atlassian\JIRA\bin\tomcat7w.exe //ES//JIRA into cmd and on hitting enter a window gets opened where in I could increase the memory size. But now I am getting D:\Jira is not recognized command in the cmd prompt. Can I rename the folder to Jira61 and remove the service and then install the service again and then try to run the cmd to increase memory size?

Thanks,

Rohan

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2013

Have you tried "D:/JIRA 6.1/Atlassian/JIRA/bin/tomcat7w.eve" //ES//JIRA

Notice the quotes

Rule 1: Don't use spaces in any folder ;)

Bhushan,

Thanks a lot. It worked, will never use space and dots again in future.

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2013

glad it worked. also, check out www.jiradev.com if your interested in plugin development. and pls mark the question answered :)

Suggest an answer