Unable to find newly created custom fields in custom field list

Mamta Pandya January 5, 2017

I created 3 new custom fields, simple Select List (Single Choice) fields with four options.

When I go to the list of custom fields, it does not display the new fields in the list.

However, going to audit logs shows my ID having created the field, as well as screens allows me to add those fields to a screen. 

The problem is, I need to add additional options to the list, and I am not able to do that, since the field itself is not visible for me to edit it (from the Custom Fields view page). Other fields created in the past are available however, and I am not sure what is causing the newly created custom fields to not show up.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2017

What happens if you try to re-add them?

Same issue. Not visible on the list.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2017

Question - you tagged this with Service Desk - are you really looking at a portal, or are you looking at plain JIRA's list of custom fields? 

Mamta Pandya January 6, 2017

I tagged it as Service Desk because that's the version of JIRA we're using. We migrated from JIRA Server to Service Desk a few months ago. Most issues have popped up since then.

And within our version - I am looking JIRA's list of custom fields. Newly created custom fields just don't show up on that list. They're functional otherwise, but you're stuck if you need to edit them.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2017

Hmm.  There's one thing I can thing of that causes them to vanish from the list.

Is the list cut-off, rather than missing items?  If, for example you have custom fields named A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and C and D are new ones, does the list show ABEFG, or just AB?

In the above example, it shows ABEFG. 

The list is sorted alphabetical, the custom field is named "Test Plan Type".

I'm seeing fields starting with Y (that were created earlier), but Test Plan Type does not show up on the list. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2017

Ok, that rules out that idea, but leaves another one open.

What type are the new fields you've added?  And if you add a simple select list (with a plain name like "temporary field", and no description, defaults or options), does that appear ok?

No, it is a simple select list field with the name "Test Plan Type" and has 4 Options to choose from.

No descriptions or defaults added.

I'll a try a simple select list without adding options and report results.

UPDATE - Configuring a select list (single choice) needs atleast 1 Option to be set to create the field. Wont create the field otherwise.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2017

Don't worry about the option, the important bits were a plain field and no attempts to be clever with descriptions or defaults.

Understood. It was a simple field - no bells and whistles. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2017

Ok, does the new test field show?

Mamta Pandya January 13, 2017

No it does not. sad We've tried everything, have an open ticket to Atlassian, sent them support zip to see if they can find something.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2017

Try re-indexing. If that doesn't work I'd open an issue with Atlassian. 

Tried that, no dice. Issue persists.

Suggest an answer