Unable to edit "Resolution" to Optional

Mithun Suresh February 2, 2017

JIRA we are using has Resolution field. As JIRA is used accross multiple portfolio, few of them require RESOLUTION field to be Optional. I do not have option to edit the field to Optional/Required in field configuration screen. Attached is the screenshot.

Can someone please help me understand why is this field non editable.

image2017-2-2 14:17:39.png

2 answers

1 vote
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2017

The resolution field has special rules around it such as:

1) if it is included in a screen the user must set it

2) if it's not included in a screen, the field wont be required

3) You cannot clear the resolution field via a screen once it is set.  It can be cleared with a workflow post function.

Best guess is that since the field itself requires a user to select a value, allowing for it to be set to required will result in users having to set a value to the field when there may not be any resolution yet.  To extend the field to allow users to set it to no resolution would result in the resolution possibly not being set when the issue is transitioned to a done state.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2017

All JIRA's have and use the Resolution field.  It's a system field, built in, and it's quite important as it is the field that tells the whole of JIRA if an issue is done or not.

It is always optional. 

But, if you put it on a screen, it is defaulted and cannot be blanked out.

Thanks. So only option is to remove from the screen. we cannot make it optional as other fields like the example in attached screenshot.

image2017-2-2 14:48:36.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2017

As I already said, it's optional already (and you can't make it required)

As Randy has said you should only ever put it on issue-view and transition screens when you want the user to enter it.

image2017-2-2 15:3:27.png

But i see the resolution field as Must field in the screens associated. Ideally it should be optional right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2017

No.  For the third time, IT IS ALREADY OPTIONAL. 

But, if you put it on a screen, it is defaulted and cannot be blanked out.  As Randy has said you should only ever put it on issue-view and transition screens when you want the user to enter it.

Suggest an answer