Unable to edit context name in JIRA planning Board.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2013

Hello All,

I am a jira admin. but still I am not able to modify the name of the conext in the planning board, the msg. says only the owner can modify the context.

How do i fix this issue?

I think the issue is this - if you read the link carefully in the docs

"'Context name' — Edit the name of your context."

It uses the word "Your" context i think i can't edit anyone's context. is it the case?

Thanks,

Tarun

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2013

context can only be edited by the owner (i really don't understand why wasn't jira admin also allowed to edit context name :X)

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2013

Hey there, Tarun.

According to the documentation below, it is mentioned that you need to have the Administer Project permission. Can you check if you have the respective permission?:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Using+Contexts+to+Filter+and+Highlight+Issues#UsingContextstoFilterandHighlightIssues-ModifyingaContext

Which version of GreenHopper plugin are you running on? Can you post the screenshot that you are getting?

Warm regards,

Danial

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2013

Hey there again, Tarun.

Perhaps you can check if the project role Administrator has the rightful permission of the Administer Project like I mentioned earlier on?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

On the other hand, you can try and manually add yourself into the JIRA Administrator Global Permission and check if you are still not able to edit the context of the Planning Board.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions

Warm regards,

Danial

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2013

Hi Danial,

I am already part of the group which is jira system administrators.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2013

I am usin' 5.8.7 and i am part of jira-administrator group, this group is mapped against the project role "Administrator" in the people section of the project.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2013

In the permission scheme of the project the administer project is mapped to jira-administrator and i am also part of that group.

Administer Projects
Ability to administer a project in JIRA.
  • Group (jira-mp-po)
  • Group (jira-administrators)
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2013

Hi Danial,

I think the issue is this - if you read the link carefully that you have shared, it's written -

"'Context name' — Edit the name of your context."

It uses the word "Your" context i think i can't edit anyone's context. is it the case?

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2013

Hey there, Tarun.

Good catch on that. I somehow believe that it might be that only the owners are able to modify the configuration in the board. That could be the explanation to why you are do not the permission to perform this.

Anyway, as you might have known, the Classic Boards is going to be deprecated by end of this year. Any plans on moving into the new Rapid Boards?

Warm regards,

Danial

Suggest an answer