Unable to delete screens in JIRA

Michelle Larson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2014

I have a few screens that were created but never used now as I am trying to clean up JIRA I am unalbe to delete them I do not get delete all I get is Configure Edit Copy

I know that it says Note: it is only possible to delete a screen if it is not part of a Screen Scheme and is not used in any workflows.

None of the ones I want to delete are part of any workflow or screen scheme

7 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
kosprov September 15, 2015

I had a similar problem and in the end JIRA cooperated and rendered the delete link.

The problem was that I had imported a JIRA workflow from another server which referenced a couple of invalid screen ids. Those erroneous references would appear as "Screen: null" on the edit transition  toolbox (the one that appears on the right when you select a transition).

As soon as I corrected those transitions, all unused screens could get deleted.

Ali Cheaito October 16, 2015

This should be marked as the answer. The Delete link rendered for me after cleaning up old workflows that some were likely corrupt.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2014

In this case, I would recommend you to report a support ticket at https://support.atlassian.com/so we can investigate further what might be causing the 'Delete' link to be missing.

0 votes
Johannes Heger (CD) November 12, 2018

I had that problem too. Why? In my case, I made a copy of a workflow wich was referencing a screen in a transition. I made a copy of that workflow. After that, I removed the screen from the transition in the original workflow, and deleted the screen. But the copy was referencing the deleted screen. After I deleted the workflow copy, Jira was fixed and displayed the Delete buttons in the screens overview.

James H December 4, 2018

Hi Johannes,

How did you delete the workflow copies?  I can't figure out how to do this.  Thanks!

Johannes Heger (CD) December 4, 2018

In Administration | Issues | Workflows, the workflows are devided in Active and Inactive ones. Workflows not used in workflows schemes (and also my copy) are in the Inactive section. Click on the word Inactive, and Jira will unfold alle the inactive/unused workflows. All these workflows will have a Delete button.

0 votes
mohd zakir June 28, 2018
  1. First go to  "Issue type screen schemes" and delete unused schemes 
  2. Then go to "Screen schemes" and delete the unused schemes
  3. Finally you will get an option to delete the "Screens" and you can delete unused screens

Hope this will help you.

Thanks Mohd Zakir.

0 votes
jason-kc November 6, 2014

I have the same issue with Michelle and I cannot delete the screens which is not used / referenced in the workflow. Is there any way to remove it?

0 votes
Michelle Larson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2014

This is not the issue when I run the first query I get the name for the screen then when I run the second one with the name in it I get nothing returned so it is not part of a workflow.

0 votes
Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2014

Hi Michelle,

From the symptoms you described, it might be the case that you are hitting the problem addressed by the KB below:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/No+delete+option+on+Screens

Could you please check if the KB works?

Cheers,

Danilo

Suggest an answer