Unable to delete inactive JIRA accounts

Franklin Montalvo October 9, 2013

There are several inactive JIRA accounts which need to be deleted, however I receive a message "This user cannot be deleted at this time because there are issues assigned to them, they have reported issues, or they are currently the lead of a project.

Please note that any components with this user set as the lead will have the component lead set to empty when the user is deleted."

Although all of the issues are UNASSIGNED and CLOSED, I'm still unable to do so. Is there an alternative solution to deleting the inactive account?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2013

Only IDs in groups with logon rights, jira-users by default, count against the license. We create a group called obsolete-users and put them in there so we know why they aren't in the other groups. Don't forget to remove them from project roles if you use them.

2 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2013

HI Franklin

Firstly i want to question you why you want to delete inactive accounts? Is it because your licence is capped at certain users and you want to free them?

My personal recommendation would be to disable those users rahter than delete them. The way you disable users is removing all group memberships so that he is no longer able to log in to jira.

You can alternatively, put such users in a separate group say Deactivated users so you know which users are disabled.

I am aware that JIRA in its older versions had issues with deleting users which was however fixed in the newer versions.

If you really want to delete users, and they have reported issues or there are issues assigned to them, then i would recommend you do a search for such issues and modify them in bulk and assign them to someone else. If they are project lead or component lead change those to some one else and then try to delete.

Hope this helps

Rahul

Franklin Montalvo October 9, 2013

Hi Rahul,

Thank you for your prompt response and feedback. Yes, our goal is to clean up and remove all inactive accounts due to licensing limitations. We're currently running JIRA version 5.2, and planning to upgrade to v6 soon. Per your recommendation, the accounts have been disabled and all group memberships have been removed. In regards to licensing, does disabling the user account reflect and reduce the amount towards our JIRA Commercial license volume?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Frank

Suggest an answer