Unable to create sprint

Leena Bakshi December 14, 2017

Hi,

In Jira 7.3.3 I have couple of users who are not able to create sprint or complete Sprint.

For example User AB.CD is not able to create sprint and it display the message: 

"You need Manage Sprint permission for all the projects in the origin board to create the sprint"

When I run the board query, it only brings up all issues from his project only.

project = SSRF or "Receiving Squad" = "Project name" ORDER BY Rank ASC

However when I remove ORDER BY Rank ASC, it does pull up one issue from another project(WEB) which was assigned to project SSRF as receiving squad.

I checked the other Project "WEB" and in permission helper it shows that the user AB.CD does have manage sprint permission on that project also.

One more important thing that I noted that in the for Projects in Board : 

"The projects in this board cannot be listed because of the complexity of the board filter" even though it shows only one project on top under Shares that is SSRF

I hope it makes sense..

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Leena Bakshi January 18, 2018

RESOLUTION:

For us taking out the receiving squad unfortunately was not an option as other projects were loosing 100s of tickets. 

Even after giving permission to users on all the projects in our instance, it dint resolve the issue because we have 3 service desks so even after assigning manage sprint permission on the service desk projects , users were  not able to create/complete sprint. There is a bug reported for the same : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-64899 

I did the following to resolve the issue:

1. Created a group and added all the users who are facing issue in managing sprint.

2. Added this group in all the permission schemes including the one being used for Service desk( even though Service desk permission overrides the manage sprint permission)

3. Edited the board filter as follows so that we dont include the projects from the service desks:

((project = SUB AND issuetype not in (Test, "Test Scenario") OR project = SUB AND "Receiving Squad" not in ("MO Ops", "Data Ops", "Bl Ops", "Int Ops") OR "Receiving Squad" = Sub) AND status != Resolved) AND Project not in (SD1,SD2,SD3) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Now users are able to create sprint.

0 votes
Answer accepted

RESOLUTION:

For us taking out the receiving squad(custom field) unfortunately was not an option as other projects were loosing 100s of tickets. 

Even after giving permission to users on all the projects in our instance, it dint resolve the issue because we have 3 service desks so even after assigning manage sprint permission on the service desk projects , users were  not able to create/complete sprint. There is a bug reported for the same : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-64899 

I did the following to resolve the issue:

1. Created a group and added all the users who are facing issue in managing sprint.

2. Added this group in all the permission schemes including the one being used for Service desk( even though Service desk permission overrides the manage sprint permission)

3. Edited the board filter as follows so that we dont include the projects from the service desks:

((project = SUB AND issuetype not in (Test, "Test Scenario") OR project = SUB AND "Receiving Squad" not in ("MO Ops", "Data Ops", "Bl Ops", "Int Ops") OR "Receiving Squad" = Sub) AND status != Resolved) AND Project not in (SD1,SD2,SD3) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Now users are able to create sprint.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2017

The "or 'receiving squad' = " clause implies "any project where the 'receiving squad' field is valid.  Hence many, if not all, of your projects could be included.

Try limiting that clause.  For example:

project = SSRF or ("Receiving Squad" = "Project name" and project in (WEB, SSRF) ) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Current Filter is :

project = SSRF or "Receiving Squad" = "SIM-493: Sap Re Implementation" ORDER BY Rank ASC

where in SIM-493: Sap Re Implementation is SSRF project only.

sorry for not mentioning earlier. Receiving squad is already limited to the current project of SSRF

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2017

It doesn't matter - the receiving squad field could be in any project.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2017

Ah, your mail crossed over.

If "recieving squad" is limited to the SSRF project, then the clause is irrelevant - anything with "SIM-493..." is, by definition, going to be caught by "project = SSRF".

In that case, I'd cut the filter down to "project = SSRF" - then Jira won't be looking for other projects at all.

Right.. thats what I thought too. but even if I leave the receiving squad alone, it should still work.. shouldnt it? because anyways it is exclusively looking only for the same project in both the keywords?

Plus it was working for user AB.CD a few days ago

---

That being said, exact same issue is happening with this query also :

(project = SUB AND issuetype not in (Test, "Test Scenario") OR project = SUB AND "Receiving Squad" not in ("MO Ops", "Data Ops", "Bl Ops", "Int Ops") OR "Receiving Squad" = Sub) AND status != Resolved ORDER BY Rank ASC

When I run this query, it pulls up all SUB project issues only.

and the user is board admin and project admin.

user is not able to create sprint.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2017

You're drifting off-topic now.  Let's concentrate on the first problem instead of wandering on to another one.

What happens if you change the board filter to just "project = SSRF".  Can your user create the sprint now?

I have yet to suggest this to the user. Will update you once done. 

Thanks

Leena Bakshi January 4, 2018

Hi Nic,

Happy New Year

First user removed the "Receiving Squad" field from the board filter then  he could create the sprint. and he lost only one issue. so the original issue of this question is resolved.

The approach worked with another user also however she ended up loosing 100s of issues because of the modification in the board filter.

Old Board query:

(project = SUB AND issuetype not in (Test, "Test Scenario") OR project = SUB AND "Receiving Squad" not in ("MO Ops", "Data Ops", "Bl Ops", "Int Ops") OR "Receiving Squad" = Sub) AND status != Resolved ORDER BY Rank ASC

New board query:

(project = SUB AND issuetype not in (Test, "Test Scenario") OR project = SUB AND "Receiving Squad" not in ("MO Ops", "Data Ops", "Bl Ops", "Int Ops") ) AND status != Resolved ORDER BY Rank ASC

As per Atlassian document ( Manage Sprint permission for advance cases) is to give permission to the user on very project in the instance. 

I infact tried that, added this user on all the permission schemes and still the issue is not resolved. 

Thanks

Please see the resolution that I got for this issue

Suggest an answer