Unable to create a new project in Jira SW

Andreas Bendel March 18, 2017

Dear all,

I have installed a trial version and working with JIRA the first time. When trying to create a new (my first) project I receive the following error message:

hmm... we couldn't create your project due to an unknown error

I found an article which suggested to run integrity check and resolve any issues foud. I ran the integrity checker and there was one issue I was able to resolve ther found error with the tool. However my issue to create a project is still there. Did anybody had the same issue and a clue how to resolve it?

Thanks,

Andreas

2017-03-18 22:37:03,001 http-nio-8080-exec-22 ERROR q351292 1357x1052x1 1ldzv4q 172.27.244.24 /rest/project-templates/1.0/templates [c.a.p.r.c.error.jersey.ThrowableExceptionMapper] Uncaught exception thrown by REST service: An error occurred while notifying that a project was created

java.lang.RuntimeException: An error occurred while notifying that a project was created

at com.atlassian.jira.bc.project.DefaultProjectService.notifyHandlersOfProjectCreated(DefaultProjectService.java:397)

at com.atlassian.jira.bc.project.DefaultProjectService.createProjectInternal(DefaultProjectService.java:379)

at com.atlassian.jira.bc.project.DefaultProjectService.createProject(DefaultProjectService.java:349)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor626.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

at com.atlassian.plugin.util.ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.invoke(ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.java:26)

at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy282.createProject(Unknown Source)

... 2 filtered

at com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.bridge.external.HostComponentFactoryBean$DynamicServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(HostComponentFactoryBean.java:136)

at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy282.createProject(Unknown Source)

at com.atlassian.jira.projecttemplates.service.ProjectTemplateServiceImpl.applyProjectTemplate(ProjectTemplateServiceImpl.java:173)

at com.atlassian.jira.projecttemplates.rest.ProjectTemplatesResource.createProjectFromFormRequest(ProjectTemplatesResource.java:170)

... 3 filtered

at com.sun.jersey.spi.container.JavaMethodInvokerFactory$1.invoke(JavaMethodInvokerFactory.java:60)

... 12 filtered

at com.atlassian.plugins.rest.module.RestDelegatingServletFilter$JerseyOsgiServletContainer.doFilter(RestDelegatingServletFilter.java:154)

... 1 filtered

at com.atlassian.plugins.rest.module.RestDelegatingServletFilter.doFilter(RestDelegatingServletFilter.java:68)

... 36 filtered

at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.request.RedirectInterceptingFilter.doFilter(RedirectInterceptingFilter.java:21)

... 53 filtered

at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.lambda$doFilter$0(JiraSecurityFilter.java:80)

... 1 filtered

at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.doFilter(JiraSecurityFilter.java:78)

... 16 filtered

at com.atlassian.plugins.rest.module.servlet.RestSeraphFilter.doFilter(RestSeraphFilter.java:37)

... 20 filtered

at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.doFilter(CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.java:30)

... 10 filtered

at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.request.RedirectInterceptingFilter.doFilter(RedirectInterceptingFilter.java:21)

... 4 filtered

at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.LocationCleanerFilter.doFilter(LocationCleanerFilter.java:36)

... 29 filtered

at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.MetricsCollectorFilter.doFilter(MetricsCollectorFilter.java:25)

... 28 filtered

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andreas Bendel March 22, 2017

Hello Quentin, Niclas,
Thank you Niclas and Quentin for your answers. However this wasn't my issue.

In the meanwhile I was in Contact with Atlassian Support.

I have installed JIRA 7.3.3 in a PostgreSQL DB in another schema than public (default in PG). JIRA let you do so during the installation. However obviously there are issues in the JIRA product in later steps during the usage.

We found out that the SQL Statement for creating a project does not consider schmea prefix to address the table were the primary key and the rest of the project details need to be written into the DB. So JIRA tries to find the a table called  AO_B9A0F0_APPLIED_TEMPLATE in the public schema, but can't find it there, becuase I used a different schema. JIRA should call the table with MySchemaName.AO_B9A0F0_APPLIED_TEMPLATE.

1. Atlassian Support created a Bug Report to fix the issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-64886
  2. The support agent found a workaround in updating the search path on my DB for the affected role/user

Workaround

You can set the default search_path at the database level:

ALTER DATABASE <database_name> SET search_path TO schema1,schema2;

Or at the user or role level:

ALTER ROLE <role_name> SET search_path TO schema1,schema2;

I have tested it with the ALTER DATABASE solution, in your case I think it would

I hope this will help other for the time the fix will take!

Regards,
Andreas

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience! smile

0 votes
QuentinB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2017
0 votes
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2017

Assuming you have a standard connection to tomcat and installation is vanilla there should be no issue creating a project. Since its your first install I would not put to much effort investigating.

Try installing a New fresh instance of 7.3.3 in a virtualbox or suitable lab space and compare results. Maybe even use the built in DB.

0 votes
Andreas Bendel March 19, 2017

Hello Niclas,

I was using 7.3.1, however I'm currently trying to install it from scratch and will continue with the most recent version 7.3.3.

Yes it is the first project I tried to create.

Thanks,

Andreas

0 votes
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2017

Whats version you trying with and is this the first project you try to create?

Suggest an answer