Unable to choose epic link on issues

David Dindak June 25, 2015

As of this week, my team has been unable to link new issues to Epics in JIRA Cloud. We haven't altered the Epic Link field in any way, and existing links are still functional. The dropdown box to select an Epic for new issues is just now gone. See image below.

image2015-6-25 16:3:6.png

13 answers

4 votes
Jim Strange January 31, 2018

Looks like any fix has now regressed. Cannot select Epic on any of the usual edit fields - only way to do it is to open up the Epics box on the Backlog view, and drag the issue to it.

What an awful experience. The new Jira look and feel is a huge step backwards.

Brad Coates February 13, 2018

Agreed this is terrible. I can't even figure out how to open this Epics box.. 

Like # people like this
Leanne Lewis December 2, 2018

I created a new project but cant see any epics in the epic box on the backlog view but the epics are in the backlog

so I cant drag and drop story onto epic 

and cant find the epics via the drop down in the epic link field either

its like the project doesnt exist but its there definitely

2 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2015

Hi guys, 

Yes, we are aware of this bug. We have already created a bug report regarding this matter: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-43962. We found out that this bug seems to be due to some licensing changes made for JIRA 7.0. While we are working on a fix for this, the workaround would be to activate JIRA Agile free trial. To do so, you can visit Cog Icon > Discover New Applications > JIRA Agile Free trial.

If the license expired before we release the fix, please raise a ticket with us at support.atlassian.com so we can work on an extension of the license.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

0 votes
danielfm123 June 2, 2021

the problem is still there

0 votes
Martin Barhaug September 30, 2020

Experiencing the same issue with the next-gen software project I just created

0 votes
Kythera of Anevern September 21, 2020

I have users reporting this issue today after we had to revert our JIRA Cloud to a restore point.

0 votes
Susan Escalona-Sauro July 27, 2020

We started seeing this Friday

0 votes
Karri Adkins June 3, 2020

The problem for us today too.  

0 votes
Goolshun Belut July 9, 2019

I was having the same issue. I think the best to way to achieve this is to do the following:

1. Go to Board
  2. Group By Epic
  3. Open an Issue (the one without an Epic)
  4. Click "..."
  5. Click Add Parent
  6. Select the Epic
  7. Once the Epic appears on your Board, you can drag the stories from 'Issue without Epic' to the right Epics
  8. Repeat Step 3 to 7 for other Epics

Hope this helps.

Goolshun

www.smplicity.co | Salesforce Consultant

Screenshot 2019-07-09 at 21.21.52.png

0 votes
Jon July 1, 2015

Yes, we're having this same problem, too. Does anyone have a work-around?

0 votes
Edvárd Konrád Darabos June 29, 2015

Same here! I think this is a new bug!

0 votes
Elizabete Fonseca June 28, 2015

We (my team and I) are having the same problem: can't link issues to epic issues. Did anyone figure out how to solve this?

0 votes
David Dindak June 26, 2015

We are able to create Epic issues, and our old Epic issues still exists (with their links intact). We just can't alter existing or define new links.

0 votes
KetanS June 26, 2015

Epic link is anyways a locked field so it is not editable. Since your team were seeing it last week it can't be browser issue. I see that since you are not getting any error you are trying to link correct issuetypes. Does your epic still exist ?

Suggest an answer