Unable to auto set a resolution date

Himanshu Nanda January 27, 2021

Since JIRA does not have resolution schemes (they should), we’ve chosen to not use the ‘Resolution’ field as such.

The challenge with that is that the base code of JIRA considers those issues unresolved which don’t have any value set for this field.

Now, to work around this, following is what I have done –

1. Using Automation for JIRA plugin, set ‘Resolution’ system field to ‘Done’ value after the workflow status moves to ‘Resolved’ – This works fine, resolution is set. But it still doesn’t set the resolution date.
  2. I read somewhere that JIRA needs a post function of ‘Issue resolved’ event to be able to set the resolution date. So I added this on my transition to ‘Resolved’ status.

Still doesn’t work. I resolved an issue a few moments ago, and tried ‘search for issues’ to find issues in that project that had resolved date in the last 24 hours. Nada! I’m so confused.

Please help.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2021

Hi @Himanshu Nanda 

In your workflow transition add this post function "Update Issue Field: The Resolution of the issue will be set to Done." You don't really need to use any automation for doing this.

Ravi

Himanshu Nanda January 28, 2021

Thanks @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ . This seems to have (finally!) fixed the issue.

It is quite silly that this isn't agnostic of the mechanism that drives the resolution field. But hey, as long as it works :)

Cheers

Like Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ likes this
0 votes
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2021

Hi @Himanshu Nanda 

After you 'resolved' the issue, did it have the 'done' tick next to the status?

I'm curious as to what a resolution scheme is?  Could you expand on that please?

Thanks, Liam

Himanshu Nanda January 28, 2021

hi @Liam Green 

Not sure which tick mark you are referring to, sorry.

By resolution scheme, what I am implying is the project specific setup that is allowed by other schemes like Issue type scheme, workflow scheme etc Instead of having a universal setting

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2021

Hi @Himanshu Nanda 

I understand now!  Yes, it is very frustrating - The universal setting certainly doesn't work for all.

Glad Ravi was able to solve the issue

Like Himanshu Nanda likes this

Suggest an answer