Unable to assign user to issue

Kathrine Lauritzen October 22, 2014

I have a user X that according to the permission scheme is allowed to be assigned to an issue. The issue is tied to a security scheme, where the Role the user belongs to, is not allowed to see the issue BUT the role "current assignee" is. (set up this way, because I only want the user X to see the issue, if user X is assigned to the issue). However I can't assign user X, because of this security level. Is the any smart work around for this?

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-38134 sort of touches on the same issue, but from the opposite angle, and I don't think they had "Current assignee" as a part of their Issue Security Scheme. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2014

No, this is a known problem - you can't assign issues to people who can't see them yet.  So they need to be able to see the issue before they become the current assignee. 

In other words, using "current assignee" in security schemes is pretty much useless, and you can't do "user can only see issues assigned to them"

Kathrine Lauritzen October 22, 2014

Thanks Nic... Fast response as usual:) Could there be some crazy work around? Like create a transition screen where the issue level manually is changed momentarily? Guess it it would be pretty silly...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2014

Well, the trick I've used is to create a new user-picker field that is not limited like assignee. Then when the transition or edit is committed, a script takes the user selected in there and tries to apply it to the assignee field. The weakness is that a user-picker lists everyone, not just the possible assignees.

Kathrine Lauritzen October 23, 2014

But that could actually be acceptable for me. Is the script solution an option on OnDemand?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2014

I think there's something in one of the Addons for Cloud/OnDemand that provides "copy custom field to assignee" as a post-function, but I'm not sure.

Kathrine Lauritzen October 26, 2014

Found it - Thanks! :)

Suggest an answer