Unable to add new projects even though user is part of group administrators

manne skoog August 30, 2012

I'm unable to add a new project with a user that is part of group admionistrators.

I have to log on as administrator in order to do this.

Shouldn't I bee able to add a new project if I'm part of the administrators group?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
manne skoog January 26, 2013

Problem solved by support, the solutiuon was simple.

It's not enough to be a JIRA administrator. We are running FishEye/Crucible and the account in question has to be administrator of that as well.

0 votes
Jerome Martin August 30, 2012

Hi

i have an impression. You do not have verifiy the good thing.

For Jira 5.1, go on menu "users" and "global permissions", check the global permission "Jira administrator".

After that, ok ,if you have a problem with the visibilty of a projet or other problem you have to check the groups and the role and the differents assignments, and the differents permissions in the permission system affected on the project.

Bye

Jerome Martin

from france

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2012

Yes, but check the groups VERY carefully - you need to be certain that the group "admionistrators" has admin rights (see global permissions to check that) and that it is shown as "a group I am in" when the user visits their profile.

manne skoog August 30, 2012

Thanks for replying.

When checking the groups, "administrators" are part of Jira Administrators and the user in qustions is part of that group. Any other ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2012

That's not quite what I asked, although I think it might be just the way you've phrased the answer.

To rule out my misunderstanding - when you visit "Admin -> Global permissions", what groups have "administration" access. There's two admin levels, both of which can create projects, so the membership of one or both is what's needed. (Your answer sounded like you were using nested LDAP groups, which is totally different, and I apologise if I've misread it)

manne skoog September 2, 2012

I only have one group of admin level to choose from. I'm using the on demand version, maybe it just isn't possible to create projects unless you are logged on as administrator?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2012

Er, no, you have to be logged in as an administrator to add projects. That's what being part of the administrators group is - it makes you an administrator.

manne skoog September 3, 2012

Sorry if I'm not clear enough.

I have a user called "userxyz". This user is a member of the "administrators group". With this user I'm not able to add/create new projects. The button to add new projects just isn't visible with that user.

If log on as the user "admin", which was the user I created the initial JIRA setup with, I can create new projects.

Looking at the global permissions I have "JIRA Administrators" with the group "adminstrators as members. Both the user "userxyz" and the user "admin" are members of the group "administrators". What am I missing?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2012

Ah, ok, that's more clear. It actually sounds broken to me - your users are in a group together, and that group is nominated as an administrator group. They should both have admin rights.

I'd double check all the groups that admin and userxyz belong to, but it's sounding like it's broken. Or, possibly, OnDemand works differently somehow, and I can't find any documentation that says that.

manne skoog September 3, 2012

OK Thanks.

I'll raise the issue with support and see if they can come up with something

Suggest an answer