Unable to Transition parent status when subtask is resolved

Michael Romrell February 24, 2015

The Issue: I'm unable to get script runner's "Transition parent when all subtasks are resolved" function to properly advance the parent status after marking a sub-task as complete. 

What I Want: The parent issue creates sub-tasks automatically when I manually change the parent status (This is already happening). However, When I "close" those subtasks I want the parent status to update automatically and continue to create the next sub-task automatically.

What I've tried: I've add the "Transition parent when all subtasks are resolved" function as a post-function upon moving the sub-task workflow to complete. I've set the "Parent action" to the next transition in line (yes, the target status is accessible from the parents current status)

How can I get this to work?

Bonus Question: Because of my complicated workflows, it would be really great if the ability to auto-change the parent status upon sub-task closure could be added/managed from within the parent workflow (As opposed to having create a separate workflow for every single sub-task, just so that the "Transition parent when all subtasks are resolved" function can point to the proper target status). Is that possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Romrell March 2, 2015

The Answer was: On the Parent workflow, the transition that I was trying to happen automatically (When a subtask was completed) also had a transition screen associated with it. 

Therefore the change to the Parent status couldn't happen automatically because it was set to take input from a JIRA Screen during that transition. Which of course couldn't happen if it was supposed to be automatic. 

I set the screen to none on those automatic transitions, and that fixed it!

Suggest an answer