Unable to Edit Issue Type After Setting new Workflow on Project

EthanML August 14, 2013

Hi,

I recently created a new workflow scheme to be used on a couple of specific projects, with two new workflows - one for all unassigned issue types, and one only for Bugs.

The only difference between the two workflows is that the one for Bugs has a validator set on the resolved issue transition that makes it require a custom field I've added to the resolve screen - other than that it is literally a copy.

This custom field's context is set to be for Bugs only, and for the four projects this workflow scheme applies to only.

The problem we're encountering now is that any Bug within these projects cannot have its issue type be changed - on the edit screen it displays the message "There are no issue types with compatible field configurations and/or workflow associations" under the field.

Other issue types in these projects CAN be changed - but only to every issue type other than Bugs, and the message "Some issue types are unavailable due to incompatible field configuration and/or workflow associations." is displayed below the field.

Being able to change issue types is an important and frequent use case for us so I'd like to figure out the cause of this ASAP - I'm aware of the fix of using Move Issue instead but would rather not have to tell everyone this is now required.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Ethan

1 answer

0 votes
Darly Senecal-Baptiste
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2013

Hi Ethan:

You had mention that all unassigned issue types have one workflow, but the Bug issue type has another workflow.

This is the problem, you can't move from one workflow to another, the reason is the workflow difference.

You can use the same workflow for all issue type. However, you can work the validator with Groovy Script Runner. Then you can work the following groovy validator:

import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager

componentManager = ComponentManager.getInstance()
customFieldManager = componentManager.getCustomFieldManager()

passesCondition = false;

if (issue.getIssueTypeObject().getName() == 'Bug' && issue.getCustomFieldValue(customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName('my_custom_field')) != null)
{
   passesCondition = true
}

Tobias Knauss February 11, 2014

I am just trying JIRA out and I stumbled over the same problem.

Actually I thought of the same cause and here I found the confirmation.

But I don't understand why switching to an issue type of a different workflow should not be possible. Of course, JIRA need to know what new status to assign to this issue. But it's the same when you manually switch the workflow scheme. Then you also have to do this definition.

I would like to have settings for each issue type when switching to another issue type.

Suggest an answer