Ugrading & Migrating Help - 4.1.2 Windows Jira to Latest Version on Linux

EthanML December 4, 2012

Hey guys,

So we have a working Jira 4.1.2 installation that we're looking to upgrade to 5.2, and also move to run on a Linux server.

Basically I've spent the past 24 hours reading so many different install/upgrade/upgrade manually/migrate/version-specific-upgrade-notes documents that they're coming out of my ears, and I've lost track somewhat of what the proper series of steps I'm supposed to take is.

We have regular backups of our current Jira mySQL database, as well as the attachments folder.

My understanding is that I can install Jira on the Linux server (either 4.4 or another 4.1 to be safe maybe, not sure on this) and point this installation to a backup of our existing db and a copy of our home directory. Then from there just follow the standard upgrade procedure up to 5.2.

Sounds simple enough when you say it like that, but I would really appreciate some clarity and maybe a simple list of steps to follow if that's possible.

(This is all being done on a test server for now, of course.)

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2012

what i would do...

1. install identical version on linux and make it run (at least accessable via web). maybe use developer lincense for the beginning

2. on windows perform "Backup System"

3. copy windows $jira_home/data to linux $jira_home/data

4. on linux perform "Restore System" after you placed you xml from step 2 into linux $jira_home/import

this should be fine for the beginning.

once your jira moved as expected to linux i would consider an upgrade...which should be working like a charm using the installers upgrade function

tell me how it goes...i can assist you performing the upgrade then.

feel free to add hints/comments if i missed something

EthanML December 4, 2012

*Copied from above*

Hi, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the powers-that-be to have Jira shutdown in order to do the XML backup, and besides I thought it was recommended to use the database restore method for large Jiras anyway. Do you know of any detailed instructions on migrating Jira with this method?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2012

there is no need to shut down jira for performing "Backup System"

you can't even get there when jira is not running

ok larger installations better be done as you said...using database backup. what size are we talking about...approximately? maybe a xml backup could be used

just dump your windows db . you may add locking option to prevent any update queries beeing sent to the db while you're dumping.

your windows uses external DB ?

EthanML December 4, 2012

The Jira Home directory seems to be ~340mb, however the attachments folder is ~13GB - does that count, or can I just re-add the attachments folder seperately after I restore?

Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean about Windows using an external db?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2012

ah ok.. no problem...the attachment directory will be moved over seperately...

you can safely perform the "Backup System" from admin section...there is a line showing the info

Attachments will not be backed up. This needs to be done manually.

Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean about Windows using an external db?

is your windows hosted jira installation using an external database?

i think it is no big deal if not..your new jira host wether jira is on any kind of DB will get the needed table info from the export

EthanML December 4, 2012

Sorry deleted my previous comment as I misunderstood the question. By external you mean not using the default HSQLDB (?) option? Then yes, we are using an external db.

I'll go ahead and try to get the clean install on linux up and running now and then try your advice, I'll be back to say how it goes. Thanks very much for the help.

EthanML December 4, 2012

Ah right, no we are using our own local servers.

I'll go away and try and get the clean install working on Linux for now, I'll be back after I try your advice, thanks very much.

EthanML December 5, 2012

A new issue has come up in creating the fresh install -_- Related to the database, I created a seperate issue for it here.

1 vote
PauloP
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2012

Hi Ethan

As the best approach, I would suggest to:

1. Install a new JIRA 4.4.4 instance in a brand new JIRA_HOME folder and database

2. Double check the required plugins compatibilities, before install them, at http://marketplace.atlassian.com/

3. Copy all the data folder to the new JIRA_HOME directory

4. Import a latest XML backup.

Once you have the new JIRA properly running, review all the steps using the latest JIRA version. Regarding the plugins, perhaps you may find a limitation on moving to the next version.

Anyway, you always have the option to seek for an advanced assistance at Atlassian support.

Cheers,

Paulo Renato

EthanML December 4, 2012

Hi, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the powers-that-be to have Jira shutdown in order to do the XML backup, and besides I thought it was recommended to use the database restore method for large Jiras anyway. Do you know of any detailed instructions on migrating Jira with this method?

Suggest an answer