Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

USA state abbreviations and keywords... OR and IN need to use in JQL

Hello, I have summaries that have state abbreviations that are OR(egon) and IN(diana) but I need to use them in jql portion of summary ~. 

Thanks in advance for any hints or tips provided. 

1 answer

Hi @Aaron Minoo 

Are you asking about searching for a string which contains parentheses?

If so, there is a known issue where escaping such special characters does not work for built-in JQL features: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-62859

It appears that using the following syntax will return issues with parentheses but it will also match on embedded spaces:

summary ~ "OR\\(egon\\)"

Kind regards,
Bill

Thanks Bill. But I was using the full names of the states as the reasoning of this dilemma. I do not need the string function, just IN or OR. 

Thanks for clarifying, Aaron: you were noting the problem of searching for JQL reserved words, such as with this syntax:

summary ~ "\"IN\"" OR summary ~ "\"OR\""

I do not think searching for items in the reserved words list is possible unless the system settings are changed to do so...And per the documentation that can lead to unexpected results:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/search-syntax-for-text-fields/#Searchsyntaxfortextfields-reservedReservedwords

A work-around for this may be to either fully spell out the state names.  Even using the abbreviations in a separate single/multiselect field may not work due to reserved work checks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you