UPM 2.7.2 Issues with Jira 5.0.6?

PeteToscano September 12, 2012

I updated UPM from what looks like 2.6 to 2.7.2. Previously, I haven't had any problems with these updates, but now I get the following toward the top of the Manage Plugins page:

This version of JIRA is unknown to the plugin information server. It may be too new to appear, or it may be some type of non-standard build. No plugins can be found for unknown product versions.

I can't figure out what the problem is and I can't figure out how to downgrade. Suggestions?

8 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2012

Hi Pete,

It looks as though JIRA 5.0.6 was published to the marketplace website with an incorrect build number. UPM 2.7.2 treats unknown versions slightly differently than older versions of the UPM, which caused this problem to manifest itself when you upgraded. I've fixed the metadata--- can you try again?

Note that the version query that UPM makes to the marketplace site is cached for 5 minutes-- you may need to wait for that to expire.

PeteToscano September 13, 2012

Thanks, John. I'll try this as soon as I can.

PeteToscano September 13, 2012

How do I make it try again? I logged back in this morning, authorized myself as an admin, and went to the Manage Plugins page, yet I still get the unknown version error above. Does Jira need to be restarted or (hopefully) is there a less intrusive method?

Thanks again.

0 votes
tzigone March 18, 2013

Hi,

I have JIRA 5.2.8, and I have got the same problem with 2.7.x UPM plugin which is bundled with this version of JIRA by default. I have upgraded it to 2.9, 2.8 and downgraded to 2.1.5. None of them had worked.

When I downgraded to 2.1.5 which is working with JIRA 5.1.8 instance; JIRA 5.2.8 converted it to 2.7 the original version....

0 votes
Jan Osmers September 16, 2012

Good morning John,

thank you for very much for your help. The UPM 2.7.2 is now working with our Jira 5.0.7 installations.

Have a nice day

Jan

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2012

Carlos,

You are not manually installing the UPM if you are still using web page to download the UPM.

1) Download the upm from the marketplace

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.upm.atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin

Following the directions here to install the plugin manually

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/UPM/Upgrading+the+Universal+Plugin+Manager#UpgradingtheUniversalPluginManager-AlternativewaysofupgradingtheUPM

carlitos.melgar@izote.net September 15, 2012

Thank you. The UPM is now installed. However, the other plugins that need updating experience the same thing.

The question I have is why did it stopped working? Can it be fixed?

Thanks,

Carlos

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2012

Check your logs to see if there is any clues there like some exception being thrown that you can report back on. Otherwise contact support since it was noted on the UPM plugin site that 2.7 and 2.7.1 had bugs. Maybe 2.7.2 still has some bugs left was well.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2012

I just did a plugin update using UPM and it stopped displaying at the same point, but it did complete the installation. What does the your plugin log tell you?

Can you please tell me where to find the UPM logs? I had to upgrade other plugins and before updating the UPM it went smoothly. Now, no plugin I install/upgrade completes. I have to re-start Jira to accomplish it. Very weird.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2012

So restarting Jira solved your hangup issue. That is good to know.

On the left side there are menu items on the Manage Plugins screen. One of those menu items is pluging update log if you UPM 2.6 or greater. (It might have been there earlier but never paid attention when it actually appeared.

Yes. The good thing is that manual plugin update works. Wonder why it doesn't work the other way: I mean by clicking update.

I see the Plugin Audit Log. For Sept 14 to 15, it just reads:

<th>Log Message</th><th>By</th><th>Date</th>
Successfully started the Universal Plugin Manager JIRA Sat Sep 15 2012 13:45:59 GMT-0600 (Central America Standard Time)
Successfully started the Universal Plugin Manager JIRA Sat Sep 15 2012 13:39:01 GMT-0600 (Central America Standard Time)
Successfully started the Universal Plugin Manager JIRA Sat Sep 15 2012 13:22:51 GMT-0600 (Central America Standard Time)
Successfully started the Universal Plugin Manager JIRA Sat Sep 15 2012 12:03:40 GMT-0600 (Central America Standard Time)
Successfully started the Universal Plugin Manager JIRA Fri Sep 14 2012 17:47:11 GMT-0600 (Central America Standard Time)
Successfully started the Universal Plugin Manager JIRA Fri Sep 14 2012 17:30:47 GMT-0600 (Central America Standard Time)
Installed plugin Atlassian Universal Plugin Manager Self-Update Plugin (com.atlassian.upm.atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-selfupdate-plugin version 2.4) Carlitos Melgar Fri Sep 14 2012 16:58:18 GMT-0600 (Central America Standard Time)
Successfully started the Universal Plugin Manager JIRA Fri Sep 14 2012 16:33:11 GMT-0600 (Central America Standard Time)
Successfully started the Universal Plugin Manager JIRA Fri Sep 14 2012 15:23:51 GMT-0600 (Central America Standard Time)

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2012

Wow, My log showed successful and failed plugins. I would have expected to see more than UPM listed, given you upgraded in the last two days. Maybe it is a JIra 5.0.6 verses 5.1.3 difference.

Unless there is something in your Jira logs, I cannot even guess what went wrong. I do know that 5.0.6 UPM had a broken install and that was the reason for the failed UPM update, but my previous version of Jira on 5.0.6 did upgrade other plugins.

I was expecting errors as well. It's weird that the 'installer' hangs at that point, but does the upgrade and everything works after restarting. This was not the behavior before. Not sure if it's Jira 5.1.4 or the UPM 2.7.2

Hopefully someone at Atlassian will fix it. At least it is good to know that the manual installation works.

0 votes
carlitos.melgar@izote.net September 14, 2012

I'm trying to install the same thing with 5.1.4 but I can't get it to install even by manually uploading. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Carlos

0 votes

I'm trying to install the same thing with 5.1.4 but I can't get it to install even by manually uploading. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Carlos

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2012

You might need to do a manual install instead to get things work again. That was the solution when UPM failed to install previously since the installing code is broken.

0 votes
Jan Osmers September 13, 2012

Hi John,

I experienced the very same problem with Jira v5.0.7. Can you check that build number as well?

(v5.0.7#734-sha1:8ad78a6)

Many thanks in advance

Jan

JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2012

Indeed, the 5.0.7 build number was incorrect as well. It should be fixed now.

What about 5.1.4?

Suggest an answer