Two issues with same key

Brian Boarini November 7, 2013

We had two issues on our JIRA board that had the same key (MKT-2436). When selecting one, it would display the other (the "original" worked without issue). I deleted the "original" and now the duplicate issue is sitting in the backlog and can't be moved, deleted, edited, etc.

When selecting it, a red error dialog appears "Error Issue does not exist" and the URL http://jira..../MKT-2436 says the issue does not exist.

4 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2013
Ohh, now that's an interesting break... First thing to try is a reindex. Force the issue first, in plain Jira, just edit something on the isuue. Second, try a background reindex, and if that does not help, a full reindex. If that all fails, we need to start looking at logs and even database hacking!
1 vote
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2013

Hi Brian,

Usually, JIRA doesn't permit the usage of duplicate issue keys. Please raise a support ticket at https://support.atlassian.com.

Lucas Lima

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2013

Yup, that's why I suggested re-indexing - the data is definitely broken, but he's getting symptoms that could be just a broken index. I'm pretty sure the first response from a support call will be "have you re-indexed".

0 votes
Xavier
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2018

Hi all

FYI

In a post function script, I use a cloneissue function to create a new issue. But in a script on workflow associated to the new issue, the getKey() property returns the same key than the parent.

In database, the issuenum is different, but I can't access to the real key of new issue.
Any idea ?

thanks in advance.

regards

Xavier
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2018

Sorry, I use my script before the "creates script" step ... 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2018

This has nothing to do with this 5 year old question.  I'd suggest you ask a new one to get some visibility across the community.

However, at a glance, as you're running the code in a transition, getKey is going to return the key of the current issue, not the one you are trying to create (and you can't know the key of that until after it is created, after the end of the transition)

Xavier
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2018

Hi Nic,

yes, I fact I know and correct my issue (not sure I can remove my post :) )

thanks to you

regards

0 votes
Brian Boarini November 8, 2013

Much appreciated - will follow up after re-indexing and reaching out to Atlassian Support.

Suggest an answer