Two-digit date inputs are accepted but should not be!

Hi everybody,

hope you all had a wonderful X-Mas ... I'm really sorry to bother you again, but this issue is urgent. Our big Go-Live for JIRA and Confluence is nearing and I've found a behavior of JIRA's date/time handling which is wrong to the bone (or shouldn't be accepted ... or turned off ... or whatever ... )

Our current advanced settings for date/time related stuff are matching ISO 8601:

jira.date.picker.java.format - yyyy-MM-dd

jira.date.picker.javascript.format - %Y-%m-%e

jira.date.time.picker.java.format - yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm

jira.date.time.picker.javascript.format - %Y-%m-%e %H:%M

So do the user interface settings:

Complete Date/Time Format - yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm - 2012-12-27 15:47

Day/Month/Year Format - yyyy-MM-dd - 2012-12-27

The BIG (!) problem: JIRA is still accepting manual date/time entries like 12-12-12 13:14, which all users refer to as 12th of December 2012 ... but it's saved as 12th December 0012. I know, this is related to Java ... but it should be forbidden/possible to disable. JIRA should ONLY accept dates formatted like the given settings, nothing else.

How can I disable this behavior in JIRA?

This is - as I said - a really big issue which could screw up the whole Go-Live.

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Dominic

To fix this, you'll have to do the following:

1. Log in to JIRA as an Administrator;
  2. Browse through Administration -> System -> General Configuration -> Advanced;
  3. On the jira.date.picker.java.formatfield you have the following info configured:
    yyyy/MM/dd

4. Change this format to the following:
    yy/MM/dd

5. This will solve your problem with the date format and the new issues created will appear normal ("/13" will be "2013").
  6. If the problem persists with the existent issues just click on "Edit" on the issue and insert the "Due Date" field again.

I hope this helps. ;)

Cheers

Thanks Pietro,

I already tried that setting before. Sadly changing the date picker fields in that way screws up the excel export options. The system date fields get exported in a different way than the custom date fields ... so I switched back.

Atlassian should just implement a check routine to forbid inputs different from the configured date formats. But I guess that never happens. Thanks anyway ...

Cheers,

Dom

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

155 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you