Two boards, one sprint?

Tamás Schumann November 27, 2019

Is there any way to start a sprint containing tasks from multiple boards?

Our team is currently working as a stand-in team (or "emergency help" team) helping other teams/products to succeed by tackling tasks they themselves were not able to focus on (mostly because of thight deadlines). These come from multiple product backlogs, which are easy to represent as one sprint on a physical board, however this does not seem to be supported by Jira (v6.0)

Example: On board #1, I've created a sprint ('Sprint A'), and managed to add tasks to it from board #1 and board #2. (This made 'Sprint A' also appear on board #2 in Plan view.)

Is there any way priorities can be established within board#1 and board#2 tasks?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2019

Hi @Tamás Schumann 

I only use the cloud-based Jira, but I don't think that the server version is that different for this functionality.

What you're trying to achieve should be achievable, but the person starting and finishing your sprints will need at least Manage Sprints permission for EACH project where you are pulling in tasks. 

I think that, once you have tasks showing from multiple boards in the backlog, you can drag-and-drop to set priorities, again as long as you have the correct permissions for EACH project

Tamás Schumann November 27, 2019

Hey @Warren

(...) once you have tasks showing from multiple boards in the backlog...

Unfortunately, I do not - the tasks only show up in their respective boards. However, if I understand correctly, you're suggesting that there actually is a way (e.g. a certain view) to have all tasks showing up at the same time?

Right now, I have two boards, with three and one tasks respectively:

• Product Backlog #1 contains Task #11, Task #12 and Task #13
     - these have been added to 'Sprint A'.
  • Product Backlog #2 contains Task #21
     - this also has been added to 'Sprint A'.

The priorities within 'Spint A' however should be as follows:

1. Task #11,
  2. Task #21,
  3. Task #12,
  4. Task #13.

- this however I'm unable to achieve.

Since I was able to create a sprint across two separate boards, I was under the impression that Jira would be able to handle a multi-board sprint, however that does not seem to be the case.

(Small addition: temporarily, I've been granted system admin rights to experiment with this.)

Thank you!

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2019

Hi @Tamás Schumann 

To try and get the terminology correct, so that we fully understand what you have, Jira has the concept of a project and a board, not a "product".

1. So do you have Project 1 with tasks 11, 12 and 13 and Project 2 with task 21?
  2. Are the 2 Sprint As the same sprint? Or are they just sprints in the 2 projects that you've given the same name?
  3. Where are you looking at the sprint and seeing the order of these tasks?
  4. I'm assuming that you've set up a board whose filter contains both Project 1 and Project 2? In the backlog of that board, are you able to drag tasks to change the priority?
  5. Is your only problem that you are unable to change the priority of tasks across 2 projects?
Like Tamás Schumann likes this
Tamás Schumann November 28, 2019

Hi @Warren ,

creating a filter so that a board would contain both Project 1 and Project 2 (didn't know that was an option) did the trick, thank you! :)

Like KadaSoftware likes this

Suggest an answer