Tutorial for permissions

Bartolome Rodillo December 3, 2013

I have Jira (On Demand Version). I'm trying to assign for a specific user project permission, but I can t understand how to work on it.

Is there any tutorial for it?

Thanks,

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2013

Bartolome,

Has the AOD online documentation not been helpful? There's ton's of it online...

You probably want the doc specific to JIRA-OnDemand, and then drilling in further (and guessing as you didn't say what capability you wanted to grant your user in the project) you want to look at Managing Project Permissions.

Now since you sound new to JIRA and permissions I'd strongly recommend you take some time and look into how Project Roles work. My company, Capital City Consultants has had the best luck in terms of long term support and service when we leverage project roles completely, never referencing a JIRA security group anywhere. There's a couple things we like to do when we setup a new system:

Rename all of the default project roles adding a number to them so they sort correctly

For 90% of every company's permission needs the permissions all 'roll uphill' - meaning a user can do everything a guest can do and more, a developer can do everything a user and guest can do and more, etc...so we 'nest' the project roles so the permissions are inherited, because....

Performance suffers when you list multiple groups/roles in a single JIRA permission scheme capability - so you want to minimize. But if all your users are in one group, associated with one role, you have to add all of your developers to that same group so they can do what users can do...and that gets messy. We handle this by putting both the jira-users and jira-developers in the Project's 'Users' role, granting them access to the project (actually, we create a new role, Guests, that's read only, and put everybody in there, but that's more of what we get paid to do).

Hope that helps get you where you want to be.

-wc

0 votes
Bartolome Rodillo December 8, 2013

I'm using different permission scheme, but the same roles for all projects. For each Project, I'm defining groups to grant permissions for each schema.

Thanks,

0 votes
Bartolome Rodillo December 5, 2013

Thanks, for your help. The information is useful but, I had to break my head to figure it out how to assign permission per each project. I need to separate the view permission between projects.

I can do it. Thanks,

1.I created 3 groups for each project role.

2.I assigned users into the each group based on their rol. All the member of the team has to be on the User-Project rol.

3.I created a Permission Schemes for my Project,

4.I assigned the permission for each group. Only these groups has permissions for the new schema. Others must be removed.

5.Finally I assigned the new schema into the project.

Regards,

Bartolomé

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2013

Bartolome,

You should be able to accomplish what you want with a single permission scheme for all of your projects and just modify the role membership that has view/browse capabilities for the project. Is that what you did, or did you end up creating a separate permission scheme for each project and refer to JIRA security groups instead of project roles in them?

I only ask because while that method does work fine it limits you when you try to scale the solution to hundreds of projects, thousands of groups, etc.

-wc

Suggest an answer