Turn Off CC/To Being Added as Request Participants

Cole Adams May 30, 2017

There are some automated emails that add distribution lists into the email to notify a large number of people. The thing is when this happens every user in that distribution group gets added as a participant on that ticket. 

This just started happening recently, so I assume this is some kind of new feature because we just upgraded from JIRA 7.1.7 to 7.3.3 and to JIRA Service Desk 3.4.

Does anyone have ideas for this sort of thing?

2 answers

1 vote
Saida March 6, 2018

New releases dont provide adequate configuration. We are on 3.10 now and have the same issue. 

As Atlassian support says, to disable CC I need to set the Customer permissions <Who can customers share requests with?> to Other customers in their organization. This means that if my company uses Organizations, CC sharing cannot be disabled at all. 

Second, if you delete all organizations and then switch sharing as mentioned, this overlaps Browse Users global permission and portal users cannot select user on the request form (for example, Manager). The user picker is shown as simple text field. 

Have no idea how to get around this limitation. 

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2017

There was a lot of feedback on this feature in Service Desk.  In the next version of 3.5, they added more granular controls over what to do with that CC field when Service Desk is processing such emails.   More info on this in the JSD 3.5 release notes

I suspect that this group distrobution list is getting added to service desk as a customer account.   While users probably can't login to it, if it has been added as a requested participant then that list would get notifications of every update to that issue.   I think you will likely want to deactivate that user account as one way to stop that problem, and also upgrade to this latest version to help prevent this happening again in the future.

Suggest an answer