Trying to understand when to use issue types vs sub-tasks

InterservS March 12, 2015

I'm a new user working on configuring JIRA for use within our internal IT team.

I am having some challenges figuring out if I should be using mutliple issue types, or a main issue type with sub tasks. It may be worth noting we have purchased and will be using the TEMPO plug-in for time tracking. I'm not sure if that plays into how I need to configure things.

The example I have is in the case of a software development request. Is it better to setup multiple issue types for the various activities like requirements, development and testing, OR do I setup one issue type called Software Request, and create sub-tasks for requirements, development and testing? The various activities will be performed by different people, so they will need to log their time towards it.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2015

Hmm.  "The various activities will be performed by different people" tends to imply that you probably want sub-tasks - this enables you to have distinct owners of current pieces of work, which can then progress at different rates without anyone having to worry about the current owner (you're assigned it, it's you...)

But if you don't need to parcel it up like that, then different people can still log time on one issue.

That said, your overall approach is a common one, and (whether you're Agile or not) "stories" are a good way to handle it.  With a Story, you define on a human level, a description of something that needs doing.  Then, you use subtasks to break it up into clear tasks, such as "write all the requirements", "do sets of development" and "test it".  Which does feel like it would work well for you.

(Tempo supports all of these approaches fine, I wouldn't worry about it)

0 votes
InterservS March 12, 2015

Exactly what I was looking for.  Very much appreciated.  Thank you Nic.

Suggest an answer