Trying to understand import anomalies

Ari Davidow August 31, 2017

I have noticed some oddities on using import. We are using hosted Jira, and of course, some things may be a result of using a relatively "out of the box" version of Jira (company policy is to keep customization to a minimum):

1. On import, I am asked to which project. I'd happily have that be a field in the CSV, but this seems to be hardwired. So, one project per import file?
  2. On import, I am asked for a date format, but I can't find any field that accepts a date that can be imported. Ideas? (and why would the system default to DD-MMM-YY instead of the less-language-dependent, ISO standard, YYYY-MM-DD format?)
  3. I seem to have to both manually specify mappings, (e.g., Summary -> Summary) and THEN map the field. Missing something? This seems like an unusually awkward process. Do others do the same? Move through it and just save the setup for the next import (I haven't because I am still evolving what I can include/what is desirable in an import.)
  4. Has anyone explored exporting a project, modifying stories in Excel, then importing updates?
  5. Finally, with all of the extra steps and warnings, I still managed to import a story to the wrong project. Any way to modify/move the project in which a story sits, after the fact? This is not really an import-specific issue--could happen with any story and any project (although most people probably take more care and never make this mistake?

Many thanks,

ari

1 answer

0 votes
QuentinB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2017

Hello,
You can select project before import or set the project target in a column inside the csv file.
For the date you can use the syntax that complies with the Java SimpleDateFormat.
CSV import is a not easy at the beginning but once the CSV file is built it is ok. Do not hesitate to save the configuration, which you can use at the first step of the CSV file import.

Documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/importing-data-from-csv-802592885.html

Suggest an answer