Trying to run Jira in Unattended Mode - Can't find response.varfile

Andrew Khoury February 19, 2014

I'm tyring to follow the article, Download and Run the JIRA Standalone 'Linux Installer' in Unattended Mode

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/Installing+JIRA+Standalone+on+Linux

I've installed Jira via the tar not the bin. Is this why I can't find the response.var file? Is it only available when installing via the bin file?

Also, can I install Jira via the tar, in unattended mode or otherwise supply a similar response.var file?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2014

I think the response.var file is created from the responses you gave while running the installer. If you didn't use the installer there is no response.var file.

tar files are archives, they didn't contain any "installation logic".

Andrew Khoury February 19, 2014

Yes on reflection that makes sense. I'm using configuration managment to configure jira so I like the idea of the tar as I can manage all my files and templates, I don't think that would really translate well with a binary installation.

Do I have any hope of an automated installation without the binary?

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2014

I can't think of any which is provided by Atlassian. Maybe you could script something by yourself which creates the database structure and the file structure.

Andrew Khoury February 20, 2014

The only other method I can think of is to do the install via the binary, then try to apply the configuration files chagnes myself (assuming the binary install is identical or close to the tar one).

It's sounding like doing the install part manually (through the browser) or even via something like phantomjs would be a better way to go at this stage.

Michael Alphonso July 30, 2015

This is where I found mine: /<jira-install>/.install4j/response.varfile or run: find / -name response.varfile

Like Gary Williams likes this

Suggest an answer