Trying to restrict user access to a particular project

suhaim abdussamad September 1, 2012

I have an existing project that is fully operational. I have set up a new project which will have a couple of members, these members should only have access to this new project.

This is what I have done till now to try and accomplish this

1.) Created the new project

2.) Created the new users and gave them developer and users role explicitly

3.) Created a new group called restrictedgroup with these users

4.) Gave this group the JIRA Users and Browse users permissions via the global permissions

This has restricted the users but they dont seem to have the ability to create issues, why is that? How do I rectify this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2012

You need to give them "create issue" permission as well as "browse". Browse just means "can read issues". Read through the permission scheme - most lines in it are quite clear as to what they grant.

This is not via global permissions, correct? I use permission schemes? ( i just noticed this option now)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2012

Global permissions control admin, can-log-in and a couple of other things. They don't have anything to do with Project permission schemes.

I apologize for all these questions - I dont see where this option is. Here is a screenshot of what I have under global permissions. Am I not understanding or am I missing something on the JIRA end?

Azwandi Mohd Aris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2012

No, you should configure the project permission instead (to grant the create issue permission), take a look at this https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions.

By the way, this is very similar to https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/HOWTO:+Secure+Projects+Between+Groups+and+Teams, but as for Atlassian OnDemand, you need to grant this user an application access in addition.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 1, 2012

We already pointed you at the "Managing project permissions" page, I don't understand why you keep going to global permissions instead.

thanks. I didnt realize that was what I was doing until your comment Nic. Sorry, I was being a little dense. Messing with the existing project just makes me nervous. Btw, the article by Azwandi is nice with screenshots. Though I dont know what this means - "for Atlassian OnDemand, you need to grant this user an application access in addition."

What does application access mean and how do i do that?

Azwandi Mohd Aris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2012

Application access is the fundamental permission in Atlassian OnDemand. Without it, a user can't even login to the instance. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Managing+application+access.

Suggest an answer