Trying to limit the number of characters in a text field (single line) to 24

Derek Sheeman October 11, 2014

I am trying to create a custom Single Line Text Field for my JIRA instance that will only allow 24 characters to be entered.

Is there a way to do this?

Looking through documentation, I can't find one.

2 answers

3 votes
Adrian Vital April 24, 2017

You can use the "Validators" during a transition to check if the field follow a spefic format. 

Example.  

I have field that should only be 8 OR 11  alphanumber digits long.   I want to keep users from submitting issues with wrong information.

On the workflow, click on the "create" transition line. 

Select "Validator" 

1.pngclick on "Add Validator" 

Select "Regular Expression Check" 

Select the field  want to validate

Enter the Expression

The expression that worked from my examples above is:  

[A-Z0-9]{8,11}

Here some more information on Expressions: 

http://www.javaworld.com/article/2075410/core-java/matchmaking-with-regular-expressions.html

Aravindi Amarasinghe July 19, 2017

Cool Trick! :D

vivek jain May 8, 2019

@Adrian Vital , I am able to do the validation. Many thanks for that. But I am not able to configure my 'Warning Message' for that field. It displays the below message to User, which is not user friendly :

[Field Value] does not match regular expression [A-Z0-9]{1,500}

It will be helpful you could suggest how to make user friendly 'Warning Message' for the same.

@Aravindi Amarasinghe 

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2014

No, there is no way to do this without a bit of coding.  The short text fields are limited at about 250 characters (I apologise, I can't remember the exact number - I want to say 255, but I'm really not sure).

You would need a field with a different entry template, or some ugly javascript hack to do this.

Derek Sheeman October 15, 2014

I suspected as much, thanks Nic

Suggest an answer