Trying to get dev in synch with production configurations

Elijah October 5, 2015

I'm trying to get my development environment system configuration to be the same as what is in production.

First let me say that "NO" I cannot get a copy of the production system brought down to my dev environment. The process will take 3 months to get approval, and that is best case scenario.

So, I'm trying to get things to match up Apples to Apples not Apples to apple if you know what I mean.

I need to create new workflows and schemes that have the same configuration and names as what is in production. I thought I could just go into the database and rename the current ones to prefix them with Wrong and the new ones with the correct names.

For example the current 'My Project Workflow' has the wrong values and I cannot modify them. So, I created a new workflow 'New My Project Workflow' with the correct values.

I go into the database and alter
'My Project Workflow'  – > 'Wrong My Project Workflow'
 and
'New My Project Workflow' – . 'My Project Workflow'

When I try to associate any organization with the workflow it then throws errors in the log stating 

...WorkflowException: Could not find workflow associated with project 'OrgName', issuetype 8

Is there an easy way to rename this? 

Or do I have to dis-associate every organization from the workflow

then delete that workflow

then recreate the workflow

then reassociate the organizations to the new workflow?

I have about 80 organizations and this is taking forever to manage.

4 answers

4 votes
Evan Golden October 5, 2015

Try a plug in for JIRA called Configuration Manager.  It takes an XML snapshot of the entire project or system and can be deployed on another system via the same add-on.  It is great.  It does not grab content (issues).  Those can easily be CSV imported though.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.botronsoft.jira.configurationmanager

1 vote
George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2015

Hi Elijah,

You can solve this issue easily with Configuration Manager for JIRA. You can create a system snapshot from the production server and deploy it on the dev using "Restore" mode which was created exactly for the use case that you are describing. If you need any assistance or have some questions or comments don't hesitate to drop us an email at support@botronsoft.com 

Thanks,

George, Botron Software

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2015

You should not have changed anything in the database for a start - you've messed up the setup and it's probably going to be easier to throw everything away and start again.  You certainly need to roll back to what you had before messing with the database at the very least.

You've got three basic options here

1. Wait for a copy of production
  2. Install something like the "project configurator" add-on in both systems and use that to copy the config
  3. Copy the setup by hand (or with a bit of CLI scripting)
Elijah October 5, 2015

Nic, when you say copy the setup, I'm assuming you mean all of the stuff that I can find in the workflows, schemes etc. Or are you referring to something else?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2015

Yes, your assumption is correct - the workflows and schemes are what I mean by "setup". There's some other stuff as well, like global settings, but you probably have all of those already.

0 votes
Elijah October 5, 2015

I was afraid these were going to be my answers. The best one I can use is 'Copy the setup by hand' only issue is that I don't understand exactly how all of the pieces tie together. Downloading any software in my work-space is prohibited and bringing in and software is prohibited.

Thank you both for the input.

At least I have an interview this afternoon and plan on taking whatever to get out from under this horrible project.

Suggest an answer