Trying to find issues with no child links

Donald Jones April 4, 2013

I am trying to write a query that finds all issues in a project which have no 'is parent of' links to a child issue.

The only JQL function that I have found which lets me query links for an issue is linkedIssues(key), or linkedIssues(key,type).

However I cannot make this work.

It seems that I need a Query function which works as:

getLinkQty()

or getLinkQty(type)

In both cases it would return the number of links of type that an issue has.

This would let me build a query such as:

project = LFEAT AND issuetype = HLR and getLinkQty('is parent of')!=0

Is there such a function available, or is there an alternate way to build a query in JQL which can satisfy this?

Curently using JIRA 4.1, but upgrading to JIRA 5.0 soon.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2013

JQL Tricks plugin should do the trick. It's a paid plugin though. It looks like Search Linked Issues for JIRA will also work for you:

issue in/not in linkedIssuesFromQuery("JQL query", "relation name","direction of relation") - finds all issues which are linked by w specified relation with those found by specified query

Donald Jones April 9, 2013

I went with the Search Linked Issues for JIRA solution and after a bit of head scratching managed to get it to work.

Thanks for the quick answer.

Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2013

Glad it worked!

0 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2020

Strange that this thread says "Solved" but there is no solution posted!!

Suggest an answer