Trying to favourite a filter or dashboard produces a pop-up error 'Error occurred communicating with the server'

Manohar Venkataraman January 30, 2013

When I navigate to either 'Manage Dashboards' or 'Manage Filters' and try to click on the grey start to make a dashboard/filter a favourite I receive a pop-up error: 'Error occurred communicating with the server. Please reload the page and try again'. I tried this with both Chrome & Firefox and receive the same error. On doing some research I've found that this error may be firewall related (JRA-21426). The problem is when I go into catalina.out or access_log I don't see any messages that I can pass on to the infrastructure team, so I don't know what to tell them. I know they made changes to the firewall yesterday in order to keep holes permanently open for a couple of different ports, so whatever changes they did may have caused this issue.

Please advise as to either how to resolve the issue or how to find an appropriate error message that I can pass on internally as to try and fix the firewall configuration.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Manohar Venkataraman February 10, 2013

Found the issue. We were using Siteminder to control access to our system and we needed to unblock PUT access. FYI, that only resolved making something a favourite, but on clicking the gold star to make it not a favourite you also need to unprotect the 'Delete' method as well.

Suggest an answer