Trying to create a filter of issues based off a field on their respective subtasks

Jonathan Nogueira May 9, 2022

Good afternoon,

I am trying to create a filter that shows issues whose subtasks have a particular value in a field. 

For example, if the number 5 is in the required field on the subtask, we want the parent issue to display in the filter results.

I have only seen some suggestions from 7-8 years ago and have limited JQL knowledge so I haven't gotten them to work. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jonathan

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2022

Hi @Jonathan Nogueira 

Such nested queries are not possible with out-of-the-box JQL features of Jira Cloud: JQL is not a SQL.

If you need such queries often, please investigate marketplace addons, such as @Jorge Martinez has suggested.

If you need this once/a few times, I recommend doing this in one of two ways:

• Use a manual query to find the relevant subtasks, grab their parent key, and then search for those separatly
  • Export your data to a spreadsheet (or external database) and perform the join/reporting using formulae

Kind regards,
Bill

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jorge Martinez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2022

Hi @Jonathan Nogueira 

You could do this in Jira Cloud using ScriptRunner Enhanced Search. 

1.- Create a filter for getting all the subtasks with the value you required, save it and copy the filter ID from the URL
image.png

2.- Create a new filter from ScriptRunner Enhanced Search  that use the first one to get all the issues that contains a subtask listed in it
image.png

Suggest an answer