Trying to configure Outgoing Mail using Office365 SMTP server...

Alyson Reis April 28, 2016

Hello,

My company has recently started using Office365 and I need to change my SMTP Mail Server to reflect this change. After configuring the necessary fields (Host Name, Port, Username and Password as I'm using TLS security) I can successfully test the connection and it apparently works. However, when attempting to send a test mail I get the following error:

SMTPSendFailedException: 550 5.7.60 SMTP; Client does not have permissions to send as this sender

I can't seem to find any workarounds to this issue. Is there anything I should change directly in Office365 to allow my JIRA to send emails again?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2016

This error seems to indicate that the configured sender (the user that you are using to authenticate) does not have permission to send emails. 

I'd reach MS support and ask them for guidance in how to allow the user to be used to send emails from an external application (on this case, JIRA).

And make sure the "From address" matches the "Username" in the configuration.

Cheers,

Pedro

Alyson Reis May 18, 2016

It worked, you're the best! I'll make sure to name my son "Corá" in your honor wink.

Thanks again, consider this a "10" score if I was to answer an NPS survey.

Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2016

Hahah thanks! I'm glad to know that it worked!

Duncan Cosser July 27, 2016

Oh wow, making sure the sender names match is imperative!

Adejumo Magbagbeola May 3, 2017

so what was the  solution   ? 

bala March 8, 2018

can you please give the solution

bala March 8, 2018

got it. "From address" matches the "Username" in the configuration. this is solution

Akshay Chavda June 2, 2018

Worked for me.

Thanks.

banitaba August 11, 2018

I had the same problem. Actually as some of the others said on the above, Most important thing is that : "FROM address" should be the same as "Username" in the configuration and this is the solution.

Thanks everybody.

Dina Abdelhakam October 14, 2018

I made the From address the same as username but it doesn't work 
could anyone help ??

Suggest an answer