Trying to add repository yields error message: E170001: Negotiate authentication failed: 'No valid credentials provided'

Moritz Thomas May 6, 2014

Greetings,

I installed Subversion ALM and tried to add a test-repository "TEST". I filled out the "Subversion Repository Details" and the "Basic Authentication" and left the rest as is. This error message is displayed:
"Repository Root Url svn: E170001: Negotiate authentication failed: 'No valid credentials provided'"

atlassian log file contains only this one row:
"2014-05-07 10:20:20,560 http-bio-8080-exec-10 WARN XXXXXX 620x600x1 tj3cxa XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX /secure/AddSubversionRepository.jspa [ext.subversion.action.AddSubversionRepositoryAction] org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNAuthenticationException: svn: E170001: Negotiate authentication failed: 'No valid credentials provided'"

However, the login-information should be correct. I can connect to SVN with that exact username and password from my PC as well as from the JIRA-Server.

With the option "Forced HTTP Auth" it doesn't work either. Would be glad to get any hints giving a direction, where to search for the cause.

Best regards,

Moritz

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2014

Running your Subversion server on Windows with NTLM authentication might cause this. You have to enable a supported alternative authentication on your server...

Moritz Thomas May 7, 2014

OK, so is Kerberos supported? Or only basic authentication?

I don't think I can convince my client to use basic authentication, because of security risks.

Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2014

so is Kerberos supported?

hmm... nice question.

The answer: by default (out--of-the-box) not, but you might likely authenticate via Kerberos whether you configure your system (JIRA Java JVM) as it works for other products also using SVNkit to access to Subversion.

Hopefully, this does not cause any conflict with JIRA as JIRA does not support Kerberos: CWD-461

Moritz Thomas June 2, 2014

Did solve this in the end by switching basic authentication on. Was the most practical solution.

So, thanks again for your remark.

Suggest an answer