Trying to access Confluence from JIRA on installed version

Jeff Scarsbrook October 24, 2012

We are in the process of moving from JIRA OnDemand to the installed version and I was noticing a big difference. In the OnDemand site, the logo in the top left of the screen had a drop-down button that offered me the option of selecting JIRA or Confluence, to easily switch between the 2 apps. However, now that we have installed these pieces, there is no drop-down on the logo to allow us to easily switch between Confluence or the Crucible/Fisheye piece that we also installed. We have to manually enter the URL for each piece in the address bar of the browser to switch between the apps. Any ideas on how we can make it easier to switch between our JIRA, Confluence, and Fisheye/Crucible pieces?

Also, the Activity Stream, Confluence QuickNav, and Confluence Page gadgets that I put on the dashboard are blank. I added a subscription to my Confluence instance and those 3 gadgets appeared, but like I said, they are all blank. Any ideas on why that would be occurring?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2012

Hi, I asked Atlassian earlier if the OnDemand header was available as a plugin or similar, but the answer was no. I don't think the situation has changed.

I don't think there currently are ways of a seamless switch as per OnDemand except linking to each application.

If you are very keen to get this integration happening, you can look at customizing the header code, but I wouldn't recommend it due to maintenance costs.

As for your Activity Stream and gadget issues, I'd check the logs and/or your Application Link.

Jeff Scarsbrook October 25, 2012

Harry, thanks for the info on the integration. I am rather surprised that they market this as a "suite" of products, and then go about making them all separate. I think to consider all of these a suite, they would have to make it at least somewhat easy to switch between Atlassian products. Unfortunately, it seems like there are a LOT of features that everybody except for Atlassian would consider basic functionality that they just won't include. I do understand why there are so many people that are so upset about the way that most plug-ins are now moving to the paid commercial license approach when a number of those plug-ins are simply delivering basic features that Atlassian should've included in their core products. It seems as though Atlassian is a very lazy development company that isn't really very customer-focused (you can look through some of their highest user-voted requests that have been out there for 5 years and still aren't delivered).

As far as the Confluence gadgets showing up blank, you mentioned "check the logs". I hate to sound dense, but could you please provide some more details about how to do that? From searching their JIRA documentation, they mentioned looking at the catalina.out file as the answer to the "Where are the JIRA logs?" question. That file doesn't seem to have any useful information for me in regards to why the Confluence gadgets are all blank. What specific error logs are you referring to?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2012

I don't think the "lazy" comment is valid - you need to compare what they have delivered against what they've not got on to yet. They're very active and have dealt with many higher-voted issues than the ones still outstanding. If they delivered what you thought was critical, they would not have had the resource to deliver other things that other people think are critical. I think that their current highest voted issue is currently matching what I'd like to see, but that's the first time it's been the case.

Anyway, the logs question - both applications will tell you where they are storing their logs if you go to Admin -> System information (the catalina.out will tell you much the same, but we can't be sure where that is, depends on your installation. Possibly under /yourtomcat/logs, but start with the system information pages)

Nic, I guess my log question remains to be, 'What specific log file would I look in to determine why my Confluence gadgets are all blank when I add them into my JIRA dashboard?'. I went to the System Info in my JIRA admin. Were you referring to the 'File Path' section, which has an entry for 'Location of atlassian-jira.log'? If so, I looked at that file and it doesn't show anything related to why the Confluence gadgets are blank. Is there any other file that I can look at? I did look at the catalina.out file, but it didn't seem to have any useful info for me, either. Is there any common reason that you have heard of in the past in which something like this has happened?

When checking out the Application Links, is there any reason why the Application Links page from the JIRA admin page shows the Confluence Incoming and Outgoing Auth as oAuth, but when you click configure to go in to the Confluence link, it clearly shows the auths as Trusted Applications?

Also, do you know of any reason why my application link for Confluence shows as Trusted Applications when I go into the link, but on the main Application Links page in the JIRA admin section, it shows as oAuth?

Also, I went into the Applcation Links section inside the Confluence admin and it won't let me delete a link. We were migrating from OnDemand to hosted, and when we imported the Confluence site into the hosted, it also brought in this link. I created a new link to our installed JIRA server, but I get an error when I try to delete the old link to the OnDemand JIRA (REST request failed). Any idea on how to delete that old link?

0 votes

Anybody have any ideas?

0 votes
Jeff Scarsbrook October 24, 2012

Anybody have any ideas?

Suggest an answer