Troubleshooting slowness

Deleted user May 5, 2013

Hi all. About a week or so ago, all of a sudden our JIRA instance became really slow. When navigating around the Admin portion, things seem snappy. However whenever you have to deal with anything with a bug (query, clicking a link to a bug, etc.) it takes between 5-10 seconds to load the page. I tried bouncing just the JIRA process and even the entire server (it's a VM running CentOS) but we still see the slowness. Looking at the VM performance stats, everything seems to be fine: CPU, Memory, and disk activity are all well below 30% of available resources.

So my question is where should I begin troubleshooting? We're using MySQL as the backend and we only have 8337 total issues on the system. The OS and JIRA are 32bit Is there anywhere else I should be looking? Oh, we're running JIRA 5.2.6.

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user May 6, 2013

Okay, I think I figured it out. Looking in the catalina.out log, there were warnings that had to do with "applinks". When I went to the Application Links sections in the admin console, there were a number of stale links there that we no longer used. After deleting those, the site now runs much, much quicker (<2sec to load). Not sure why this started happening now as none of those app links were created in the last few months but that seems to have done the trick.

Immanuel Siagian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2013

Awesome, thanks for sharing this with us

0 votes
Deleted user May 6, 2013

Thanks for the response, guys. I'll check out the links above and go from there. I don't think it's time-based as I've noticed it at varying times (early morning, late night, middle of day) with the same issue. There's less than 10 people who regularly access it so I don't think it's because folks are hammering it.

To answer your questions, we do have integration with Confluence but that's on another instance of JIRA. And no, nothing changed during this timeframe that I'm aware of.

0 votes
AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2013

Hmm, that's a pretty broad thing to check. However, I think you have already checked the main points which may cause this behavior to occur. When did this problem start occuring? Was there any major changes associated with this slowness?

0 votes
Immanuel Siagian
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2013

Hello,

I would start by reviewing the logs and what are the activities when you are experiencing the slowness. For example, you experience it at 9:00 AM, and I would start if there are any ERRORs or WARNings during the exact time on the logs.

Troubleshooting performance issue can be quite tricky. The following link is a general documentation where to start: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Crashes+and+Performance+Issues+Troubleshooting

Since you are running JIRA on a VM, perhaps this doco might be of a help: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Running+JIRA+in+a+Virtualised+Environment

There are a few ways we investigate performance problem:

1. Profiling Logs, which describes the activities with amount of time it takes to complete.
  2. Thread Dump, which tells us what threads are currently running when JIRA becomes slow.

Last but not least, I would recommend to raise this issue to Atlassian Support, so that we can investigate all the logs fully.

Out of curiosity, may I know if you have any other Atlassian applications (Ie FishEye, Confluence, etc) integrated with JIRA?

Cheers,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events