Trouble with uploading CSV file

Vinodini Pai December 29, 2013

I am trying to upload a CSV file to Jira and get the following error "The first header row of the CSV import file contains following errors for the field name 'PK ! ��X�z [Content_Types].xml � (� �T�j�0 � � F� +I�� '�.�6�� kl�ؒ�L���;v JȂi����Ҽe�y�Ѫ*�% 4�&� wE 6u��< �ӷΣ���ժt � ����`��� W[LDA䟤Ĵ�Ja�<X>�\� �gȥW�\� ���L�%�ԡ C /��EI��o�̌ ���^M� �}iRE' on position 1: 'brackets mismatch', 'plus sign'

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2013

Um, I think that's pretty self explanatory - you're uploading a file which contains binary junk data, not csv.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2013

Excel is not CSV - it can read and write CSV, but my guess is you're actually trying to upload just the raw Excel data file, which is binary, no matter what you think you've got on the screen.

To check this, try opening the file you want to upload in notepad or another plain text editor. If I'm right, then you'll find pages of similar junk data, even though Excel can read it.

Try Excel -> Save As and make sure you change the file type box, not just the extension and/or file name, but the saved data format box. (Then try that in notepad and then Jira)

0 votes

I am using an excel spreadsheet which looks like what's shown below. Not sure which part of this is junk data. I did try by removing the quotes with the same error. This is a new file that i created for trying out the upload process.

<colgroup><col width="63"> <col width="65"> <col width="53"></colgroup>
Assignee Summary Priority
Vini "Testing upload of CSV file to Jira" High
Euclid "Example file for upload issue reporting." High

0 votes

I am looking for an answer

Suggest an answer