Trouble starting a backup server

Tom Rankin December 18, 2017

I've got a backup copy of the server, and a mirror of the /opt/atlassian and /var/atlassian from our production server and I have a slave of the mysql database going.

I had this running on the backup server once before, but now that we've upgraded to 7.6.1 from 7.3.3, the backup copy won't start.

I'm getting the following catalina error at boot.

JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.jira.startup.ComponentContainerLauncher] An Error occurred during ComponentContainerLauncher servlet context initialisation - com.atlassian.renderer.v2.macro.code.formatter.AdaFormatter.individualWords([Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/String;.
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.atlassian.renderer.v2.macro.code.formatter.AdaFormatter.individualWords([Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/String;

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2017

The nosuchmethoderror is usually an indication that a plugin either hasn't started, or isn't installed.   I'm not familiar with the specific code package it looks to be trying to call, but I am interested to see if perhaps you have any system plugins disabled in the database itself.

Try to run the following on your database and see what results come back:

select * from pluginstate;

This will show a list of all the plugins that have been marked as disabled.   If it happens that a system plugin for Jira makes it way onto this list, Jira can fail to startup.

If that table is empty, and you restart Jira once more, if it still generates this same exact error, I think the next step would be to try to replace the installation directory by performing a fresh install of that same version in a new directory path or on a new server. It might easier to do this than to continue trying to troubleshoot the existing installation itself.

You'd still want to copy the $JIRAHOME contents, and you might want to examine the $JIRAINSTALL/conf/server.xml just to see how the webservice was setup.  But typically, I don't see many users customizing the install folder very much.   User plugins for Jira are contained in the home folder, but Jira tends to still keep the system plugins in the install folder.

Suggest an answer