Trouble filtering issues with specific statuses and dates

Jake Holman March 19, 2013

I'm having some problems getting JIRA's filtering working the way I want, and their JQL documetation isn't helping.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

1. See issues across multiple project (Achieved)
  2. See specific issue types (Achieved)
  3. See specific issue statuses (Achieved)
  4. For one specific issue status, I only want to see issues that have been updated in the past 5 days (Need Help Here)

The idea behind (4) is to keep the filter relatively clean, so it's logical to ignore any "Closed" issue that hasn't been updated in at least 5 days.

Here's my JQL statement

project in (AI, HD, CON) AND issuetype in (Bug, Story) AND status = Closed AND updated <= -5d OR status in ("In Staging", "Rejected") AND issuetype in (Bug, Story) ORDER BY Rank ASC

However, the "updated <= -5d" seems to be ignored, and returns pretty much any story that's closed, regardless of when it was last updated.

Is this just not achievable in JIRA?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2013

project in(AI, HD, CON) AND issuetype in(Bug, Story) AND (status = Closed AND updated <= -5d) OR (status in("In Staging", "Rejected") ) ORDER BY Rank ASC

You need to separate your two separate clauses with parentheses.

Issuetype was in there twice which is redundant.

Jake Holman March 19, 2013

Thanks Jamie. I'd experimented with Parenthesis but ran into problems, my limited knowledge of "JQL" made me think that perhaps parenthesis wasn't understood so removed them.

I flipped "updated <= -5d" to "updated >= -5d" which seems to finally be giving me what I expected. I found that syntax incredibly odd.

0 votes
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2013

Your brackets are not set correctly! The OR clauses must be in in brackets.

Suggest an answer