It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Triggering Issues from Initial Issue

Liz Grier I'm New Here Sep 10, 2019

Hi all, very new to Jira. How can I create a next step based off of an issue? For instance Issue A triggers Issue B (so I'm not creating all the issues at one time). 

Also, can you add 'deadlines'? 

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Sep 10, 2019

Hi Liz and welcome to the Community! One question I have, given that you are new to Jira, is whether you indeed need another issue created here but first let me answer your question. Unfortunately, OOTB Jira isn't designed to create an issue automatically based on say another issue being completed. You can consider an addon, e.g. Automation for Jira, Scriptrunner, Power Scripts or other. Now, if you could explain under what circumstance you need this maybe there is a better (OOTB) solution. 

Regarding deadlines there is a system field Due Date that can be used to set when an issue is due and you can create filters and subscriptions to those filters to run say daily to let you know of impending issues. Too Kanban boards can be organized to show items dues soon.

Liz Grier I'm New Here Sep 10, 2019

Thank you, this is helpful. I essentially want to create a trigger that when 1 issue is completed and updated with a link or information for the development team to then be triggered to now act on their assigned issue. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

303 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you