Trigger e-mail notificaiton using filter

hachi June 24, 2013

Hi,
I want to trigger e-mails to all the administrators for a particular status. For this, I:
1) created a filter
2) shared the filter with everyone in the administrator role
3) Created a group for the administrators
4) In subscribe, I specified the group name in the recipient column

It is working fine but what I want to find out is:
1) Do I need to Share the filter with the project administrators for them to receive the trigger e-mails?
2) By sharing the filter, do they get to opt out from the filter and not receive e-mails?
3) Can I just not share the filter and just specify the group-name in Subscribe? Will they still receive e-mails?

Thanks in advance!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2013

Hi Hachi,

To answer your questions:

1) Do I need to Share the filter with the project administrators for them to receive the trigger e-mails?
No you do not need to share the filter for them to receive emails, adding the group to the subscription is sufficient

2) By sharing the filter, do they get to opt out from the filter and not receive e-mails?
No, sharing your filter doesn't allow them to edit it or opt out of the subscription you created, only the owner of the filter can edit it.

3) Can I just not share the filter and just specify the group-name in Subscribe? Will they still receive e-mails? Already answered in (1).

By the way, if you would like for individual users to be able to opt out of subscriptions, the best approach is probably to Share the filter with the relevant group and delete the subscription you made on behalf of the group.

Sharing the filter with the group, allows every member of that group to view the filter and subscribe to it if they want to. They would also be able to delete their subscription later if they chose to. It would be more effective though, if you are able to invite members of this group to subscribe to the shared filter, perhaps by email.

hachi July 6, 2013

Thank you Taiwo for answering my question and also for the additional information. You have made me understand the concept thoroughtly and I really appreciate for your time and effort! Thanks again!

1 vote
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2013

What is the use case you want to implement this for? Unless I'm misunderstanding your query, wouldn't it be easier for you to:

1. create a custom event
  2. fire that event on a transition related to the status you want it to apply to (workflow postfunction)
  3. add the event to the notification scheme related to the project
  4. add the appropriate entities to the event in the notification scheme
hachi June 30, 2013

Hi Mick! I have no idea how to do what you've explained! Let me try to explain my scenario a little better:

An issue is created by a reporter. The admin is supposed to verify and assign the issue to the concerned person. What is happening right now is, the admin is taking way too much time to verify the issue though he receives an e-mail notification when an issue is created. The whole process is delaying because Admin is taking too much time to verify and assign the issue.

So what I want to do is, send reminder e-mails to the Admin every two days about the issues that are in Open status. These e-mails should be send every two days until the Admin verifies and assign the issue to the concerned individual.

I figured, to do this, I have to create a filter, subscribe and share the filter with admin for him to receive these e-mails. But now, I am wondering by sharing the filter, if he has the access to stop receiving these reminder e-mails.

Hope you could understand my situation

0 votes
hachi June 30, 2013

Hi Mick! I have no idea how to do what you've explained! Let me try to explain my scenario a little better:

An issue is created by a reporter. The admin is supposed to verify and assign the issue to the concerned person. What is happening right now is, the admin is taking way too much time to verify the issue though he receives an e-mail notification when an issue is created. The whole process is delaying because Admin is taking too much time to verify and assign the issue.

So what I want to do is, send reminder e-mails to the Admin every two days about the issues that are in Open status. These e-mails should be send every two days until the Admin verifies and assign the issue to the concerned individual.

I figured, to do this, I have to create a filter, subscribe and share the filter with admin for him to receive these e-mails. But now, I am wondering by sharing the filter, if he has the access to stop receiving these reminder e-mails.

Hope you could understand my situation

0 votes
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2013

Specify group name in subscribe will work. You don't need to share filter.

hachi July 1, 2013

Does sharing the filter allow the group to edit it by which they will stop receiving the trigger e-mails?

Suggest an answer