Tried all other fixes to add due date field, nothing working

Andrea Lissor Rossi January 24, 2018

Hello,

I am project admin (but not Jira admin) and no matter what I try I can't seem to figure out why I can't edit the due date field.

I've done the following:

1. Board > Configure > Issue Detail View > Date Fields > added Due Date

2. Checked permissions in project settings to see who has permissions to schedule issue and it says "Application access (Any logged in user)"

3. Went to Issue Detail View and attempted to edit it from here.

When I create a new issue the due date field is not there. When I view the details in the sidebar there is a field that says "due" but it is not editble. When I look at the full details (full screen version) the "due" field is not even there. And finally no edit views show a field at all.

The only thing left that I can think of / have read in others' questions is that the Project Settings > Fields configuration may not have Due Date added to the correct screens? But, when I look it says it is on 89 screens.

Can any one offer any other explanations or confirm the screen issue? If it's the latter I'll have to contact one of our Jira admins.

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2018

It sounds like you've checked most places, but missed something.

Could you go to "edit" again (full edit, not in-line) and look to the top right for "configure fields".  In that drop-down, there should be a "where's my field" option.  Ask it about "due date", it should tell you why you can't edit it.

Hi, Nic -

Thanks for your reply! In the full edit view I do not seem to have a configure fields drop-down in the right hand corner. In the inline view I do, but I do not have a "where's my field" option. Could this be due to my permissions as a project admin but not Jira admin?

Thanks again.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2018

What version of Jira are you on?  You are on the full edit screen, not one of the board ones?  As below (far right)

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 16.13.42.png

I'm using Jira v7.2.4 and yes, I'm on the full view, this is what I see:

2018-01-24 11-18-23_Edit Issue _ TT-2 - Dealertrack JIRA.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2018

Bother, I think that may have arrived in 7.3.

However, your description sounds like you should check the screens in use.  If you can see the field on view, but not edit it (and you have schedule and edit permissions), then it's not on your "edit" screen for this project and issue type.  Have a look at the project's "issue type screen scheme"

This is all it says, should it say more?

2018-01-24 12-55-21_Project Training Team - Screens - Dealertrack JIRA.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2018

No, that's fine.

Descend into the one which matches the issue type for the issue you are trying to get the due date on to. 

So I can open up the menu but this is all I get, and there's no additional functionality on that page. Story is the issue type I've been trying to add due date to.

Thanks, Nic, for your help with troubleshooting this!

2018-01-24 13-12-29_Project Training Team - Screens - Dealertrack JIRA.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2018

That's also good.  Now click on any of the links to TT: Scrum Default Issue Screen

I can't, they're not clickable :(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2018

That suggests you are not an admin.  As an admin, you need to get into the screen with that name to check that the due date is included there.

OK, that makes sense. I am an admin for the board, but not Jira. It takes a Jira admin to access this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2018

Yes, you need to be a Jira admin to edit screens.

alright thank you! I was afraid of that. I'll try to get one of the admins to make the changes if I can.

Thanks again.

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2018

The field (dueDate) has to be present on the "create" or "edit" screen in order for you to enter the values.

As per release notes. (if description in bold doesn't match your case then you will have to contact jira admin)

Project level administration

In JIRA Software 7.3, we allowed project administrators to edit their project's workflows under specific conditions. Now, we've added more fine-grained control to the Administer Projects permission, and added a few more perks for the project administrator.  When granted, the Extended project administration permission will allow project administrators for the associated projects to:

• The screen must not be a default system screen.
  • The screen must not be shared with any other projects, or used as a transition screen in workflows.
  • The project admin can add, remove and rearrange system fields.
  • The project admin can add, remove and rearrange existing custom fields, but they cannot create custom fields.

Hi, Tarun -

Thank you for your reply. In the fields configuration I can see that duedate is available for 89 screens but unfortuantely can only see about 10 of them it does say default screens for edit/create however as one of them. Is that what you're referring to?

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer