Triage requests sent by email Automation showing incorrect workflow transitions after moving issue types

Bianca Rampton May 26, 2016

I have configured the Triage requests sent by email automation within my JSD to search for requests containing text and move them to a separate request type. This request type however is attached to a different issue type.

When the email is received by JIRA it is correctly triaged to the new request type however the workflow transitions shown are from a separate part of the workflow. For e.g. the first transition that should be shown to a service desk agent is "Start/Continue" yet it appears as "Review Complete" which is not a valid transition within the NEW status. As such a workflow error is produced:

image2016-5-27 13:26:22.png

I am unable to find any similar situations when using google and I'm not sure where to go from here. Has anyone experience similar problems when the issue type is changed through this automation?

There are no workflow conditions or validators that would be causing the transition to not appear.

JIRA Service desk version 3.1.2

JIRA system administrator

7 answers

0 votes
Bianca Rampton June 2, 2016

Yeah I know the move issue process well. Unfortunately we get a lot of automated email notifications which require members of the service desk team to do a lot of manual triaging and this automation was attempting to stop the need for that. I'll log it with Atlassian and see how it goes. Thank you for your help!

0 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2016

Its possibly a bug. I would raise it with Atlassian support.

You may be able to work around it. Have you tried moving the issue? With Move you can move the issue to the same project but change the issue type. JIRA will take you through a process of migrating the workflow statuses and transitions. If this works, you can then change the request type.

0 votes
Bianca Rampton June 1, 2016

Hi Chris,

This definitely seems to be the case. The "Start" transition ID shares the same as the "review complete" transition in the new workflow that these emails are to be triaged to.

Is there a way of being able to fix this? is it a possible bug? or am I out of luck?

0 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2016

Take a look at the text view of the workflows. From there you'll see the ID numbers for the steps and transitions in the source and destination workflows.

I suspect JIRA is just migrating the request type and matching the step and transition ids in the workflow.

Its difficult to know without being able to see your system.

0 votes
Bianca Rampton May 29, 2016

Hi Chris,

No the issue types are attached to separate workflows which is why I think the issue might be occurring however I cannot find anything that states it will not work when triaging into a new workflow.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2016

Can you simplify the issue into a reproducible case? I haven't been able to reproduce this myself.

0 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2016

Do the issue types behind the request types have the same workflow?

Suggest an answer