Translating the knowledge base of a service desk?

Jérôme Van De Sande June 14, 2017

Dear,

I would like to know if it is possible to translate a Confluence space / JIRA Service Desk knowledge base?

I can't find the information here: Translating your customer portal and supporting multiple languages

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Best regards,

Jérôme

3 answers

1 vote
Cora Egli_bitvoodoo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2020

Dear all,

our company has released "Translations for Confluence" V5 (formerly Language Macros): https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/28648

Using this app, you can create a multilingual knowledge base and connect it to JSD. JSD users will then see the KB articles displayed in the language of their choice. This works with as many languages as you want.

I have just published a blog post explaining this in detail: https://www.bitvoodoo.ch/blog/2020/create-a-multilingual-knowledge-base-for-jira-service-desk

Best, Cora

P.S. Translations for Confluence is currently available for server and Data Center but we'll give our best to create a cloud version in the future.

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2020

That's great! I'll check it out next time one of our customers asks for a multi-language demo.

Is a Jira Cloud alternative on your roadmap?

Cora Egli_bitvoodoo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2020

Hi @Charlie Misonne

We certainly intend to provide a Cloud version of the app to work with JSD Cloud.

What would be your use case for translations in Jira Cloud?

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2020

Well, a lot of customers are moving from server to Atlassian Cloud due to known reasons. That's why I'm asking :-)

Cora Egli_bitvoodoo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2020

I only asked because you wrote Jira, not Jira Service Desk.

But yes, Cloud will be a priority in our team.

Best, Cora

Like Leon Kupper likes this
Leon Kupper November 24, 2020

Hi Cora,

do you already know a rough timeline for the CLOUD version of your app?

Best regards

Leon

Cora Egli_bitvoodoo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 24, 2020

Hi Leon,

thanks for reaching out. The team hopes to be ready in Q1 2021.

Best, Cora

Cora Egli_bitvoodoo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2021

Hi Leon and all,

I am happy to announce that the Cloud version of Translations for Confluence is ready: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/28648

We are eager to learn what you think of the app.

Best, Cora

0 votes
Olivier Studer September 6, 2019

Hi Jérôme,

Do you have found a solution about your problem with multi-language ? Because, I have the same problem but only with 2 languages. And I do not create two JSD and KB, one per each language.

Regards

/Olivier

0 votes
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2017

Hey Jerome, 

For now, I'm sure that you can't translate knowledge base articles from JIRA Service Desk. The translation of Confluence pages is actually not an out-of-the-box feature, so it's not available even with the integration in JIRA Service Desk.. 

There are few addons to manage translation in Confluence, but I'm not sure how it's managed from a customer point of view (like is it relative to the language used in the browser, is it a setting that the user needs to choose in his Confluence profile, or is it simply a button on the page so you can translate it in any available language with a simple click?) Because as you know, when your customers see the KB articles in the knowledge base, they only see an article and not all the Confluence interface. So maybe one of those add ons would work.. Workaround

Workaround solutions : 1.have two portals and two knowledge base, each one in a different language. 2. simply display both languages on the same article. With this solution, at least you can type in any language in the search bar of the portal, the right article will pop up. 

Hope it helps, 

Hermance

Jérôme Van De Sande August 17, 2017

Dear Hermance,

Thank you for your answer. The first workaround you propose has been avoided since the beginning of the project because we would like to limit configuration and maintenance. The other workaround has also been rejected because this is not very user friendly and we have more than 2 languages...

Best regards,

Jérôme

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2017

Yep .. I can understand .. I'll keep you updated if I hear some news on this side ! 

Best, 

Hermance

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2019

Hi Hermance

Do you have any news on this?

I can't find a feature request either on jira.atlassian.c

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2019

No news about this.. But I found the feature request : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-64788 

Suggest an answer